John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a gator yesterday that needs cleaned up and a few things fixed. I put a new battery in and the part in the pic started clicking and the lights came on. If I try to start it, the lights go out and clicking stops and I have to disconnect/reconnect battery to get power back.

Any ideas why this is clicking and what it is and why power is lost when I try to start it?

·
Registered
250 Posts
The silver thing is the electric fuel pump. Check battery cables at BOTH ends for a bad connection. Then check the plug at the back of the key switch.

·
Registered
165 Posts
check the 'lectric

trust xcopterdoc, he's been a great resource of information. I came into possesion of an "experienced" diesel gator and had the same symptoms with lights coming on and nothing but a click when trying to start up. Spare yourself some frustration and eliminate one possibility, spend $15 on new cables. If you still have problems, get the wiring diagram, get a meter and enjoy the process of learning more about you're new gator. It's not that bad and you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some good points in earlier replies. I wouldn't do anything until I cleaned and reconnected the battery cables. They'll throw you a curve quite easily. It is not enough for them to be tight. They need good,clean contact surfaces. That is the fuel pump as mentioned, and the fact that it is running is one less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone! I finally got some time to clean it up. I installed a new fuel filter and plugs and got it started. It doesn't want to idle so I think it just needs adjusted. Any tips on that?

The guy I got it from said something with the clutch would need fixed but I was able to put it in gear and it drove just fine. If there were issues with the clutch would I have been able to drive it?

I'm going to change the engine and transmission oil today. Anyone know what type of oil I can get for both? I'm hoping I can get some from O'Reilly's or autozone. Do you know if the engine oil and oil filter in the oil change kits at lowes will work for the gator?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts