John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,357 Posts
That is odd, try the workaround tool for the JDG1641 Clutch puller.

Instructions below:

JDG 1641 Clutch removal tool workaround

1/2-12tpi x 6.0" long Grade 8 bolt (Course or fine threads... It doesn't matter)

9/16-18tpi x 8" long Grade 8 bolt

Cut the threads and hex head from the 1/2" bolt leaving just the shank of approximately 3.37" long. Make both cuts square to prevent side loads during removal.

Put the 1/2" shank into the hole first. Lube the 9/16-18 threads (I used anti-seize) and crank away.

Please use only Grade 8 bolts for this workaround tool

Reactions: eyeboltman

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
It might be worth asking if they will return the puller if not needed. They might charge a stocking fee, but it is better than nothing.

The info Brad posted above concerning the homemade tool can be found in this link. I have pictures posted there that might help in understanding the basic design.

Homemade Clutch Puller

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just called they will swap but its more money, a trip to town, and another week. I was just hoping to skip some mistakes by venturing out on my own by asking here. Just another frustrating thing with this gator. Anyways thanks for the replies. Take care.

·
Super Moderator
3,357 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
There are two different sizes for the clutch removal tool. I believe the delineation is by year. 2015 comes to mind but don’t hold me to that.

·
Super Moderator
3,357 Posts
There are two different sizes for the clutch removal tool. I believe the delineation is by year. 2015 comes to mind but don’t hold me to that.
Deere actually delineates by the PIN or product identification number. In this case if the PIN is less than -60,000 the correct tool is JDG1641 - if the PIN is greater than -60,001 the correct tool is JDG11200.

In general terms Deere updated the clutch design around 2015. The one caveat is if the clutch has been replaced on a early model Gator, the updated clutch could have been installed.

·
Registered
667 Posts
You and Brad are both correct, but going by the Vehicle serial number will usually be correct, but
not fool proof. The early and late clutches will interchange and they take different pullers. Sometimes someone might have put an early clutch on a late vehicle or vice versa.

The clutch pictured in the original post is an early clutch, identified by the lack of a bushing around the center post. The early ones without that bushing can be removed with the bolt and shank Brad accurately described.

The later models with the bushing need the fine tooth puller shown in the picture. It is a thread that is not a standard thread so you are stuck with coming up with a puller.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
you can make tool really easy
I think that was discussed in post #2 and #4 almost a year ago. Hopefully the OP has taken care of the issue since then. :)

Reactions: 1Sadgatorowner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts