John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't know how many hours right now, the odo is set to miles. Shows 1550 miles that I would have had to walk carrying tools and supplies around here. I can't remember how I got along without my Gator.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Our 2011 TH 6x4 has 619 hours. What a good unit its been for us. We're on the 2nd battery and have replaced the shocks, belt, and been though set of seats and a set of seat covers. It hasn't had an easy life and has hauled and pulled some crazy loads.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bragging rights. Wow. Do you have a guide service where you lead with the 4x2? the 4x6 has had an easy life though.
No, I was out to buy a used 16' foot trailer to haul my ag Tractor and bushog without it sticking out the back of a smaller trailer, and the 4x2 was sitting neglected on one of the three identical trailers I was choosing to buy with my budgeted money. I more or less offered less on one of the trailers and the owner was on the phone. He owned a landscape comany and lost a contract with Universal Studios so he was selling a lot of stuff through his "mechanic". How much and Does it run? "No, its turn over but I can't make it run, he wants a Grand." Okay 400 bucks which is twice or three times the steel scrap value. ioss said he wouldn't do $400 but would take $500. Got the Gator and the trailer for less than I had in my pocket.....

It took three hours to clean the "chassis" of mulch, pebbles, dirt. ten minutes to pop off the carb and hit it with carb cleaner- no compressed air, and with a battery boost, it fired right up. 2 seats and a linear actuator, and a year later last week one new tire, A month ago a new battery. Has an on board air compressor and 2 gallon tank accessory.

They are both Trail Gators, the 4x6 was a barn kept machine. I drove 375 miles one way and spent less than 20 minutes with the seller before returning home. Like new minty it is. Bedliner......

·
Registered
61 Posts
Our 2011 TH 6x4 has 619 hours. What a good unit its been for us. We're on the 2nd battery and have replaced the shocks, belt, and been though set of seats and a set of seat covers. It hasn't had an easy life and has hauled and pulled some crazy loads.
BTW, if there was one thing I wish our 6x4 had it would be the dump bed. Kind 'of. One, it seems like something that would be in the way when servicing. Two, I'm not sure how happy I would be with the linear actuator. Seems there have been a lot of issues and requests for replacement alternatives. Maybe if hauling leaves would be OK. How about a bed full of stone?

Anyway, I guess this post is a thread diversion.

·
Registered
39 Posts
BTW, if there was one thing I wish our 6x4 had it would be the dump bed. Kind 'of. One, it seems like something that would be in the way when servicing. Two, I'm not sure how happy I would be with the linear actuator. Seems there have been a lot of issues and requests for replacement alternatives. Maybe if hauling leaves would be OK. How about a bed full of stone?

Just made my own post about it. 49 bucks for the actuator, 19 bucks for the switch a little wire, pins right into place.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
About 2 years ago I saw an ad for a 2012 6X4 gas Gator with engine issues.. A school was selling it. Since it was close, I went to look at it. It looked almost new with 82 hours on it. I was told the engine would foul spark plugs every 5-10 hours. The seller said it needed engine work. we agreed on a quite low price and I bought it.

When I got it home, it had new spark plugs and after 6 hours of use the engine started missing. I replaced the spark plugs and after a few hours the engine started missing again. When I removed the spark plugs they were fouled to badly they would not fire. I went through 5-6 sets of spark plugs with the same problem.

I replaced the valve seals and spent a lot of time checking this and that. After many months of head scratching and work and with help of two friends we all agreed that the engine ran too good to have a major problem.

Finally we determined that the original owner (the school) had put in the wrong heat range spark plugs. The spark plugs in the engine was COLD spark plugs about five ranges too COLD as recommended by JD.. When I installed the proper heat range spark plugs, the engine worked perfectly and as of this writing the proper spark plugs have almost 300 hours on them and the engine runs perfectly. The Gator has almost 400 hours on it and it works like a charm.

Sometimes the simple problem can cause major issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts