John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how I can get my 620i to run faster? If I put a new cdi box on it will that work?I can't seem to find anything about how to remove the govener or speed sensor, I know there has to be a way to get a little more out of it because you can tell it shuts down way before it's out of power

·
Registered
71 Posts
I will monitor this thread. I have one and I figure the way to make it faster is to trade it off. It actually serves my purposes because I live in a small town in the forest.

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
886 Posts
One of the easiest ways is to switch to larger diameter tires. The speed gain comes from loss of acceleration and pulling power since you are changing the final drive ratio.

Another way is to chunk the electronics like fuel injection or ignition system, whichever is limiting the rpm. Go back to carburation and a whole new world opens up. You can then turn the engine at a higher rpm. Deere programmed it into the 550's allowing those Briggs engines to turn up to 4'200 rpm instead of the more standard 3'600.

Several years ago I replaced the stock Briggs engine in my 550 with a Honda GX. It was mechanically governed to about 3'600. It is carbureted so the only limiting factor is the electronic ignition. I removed the mechanical governor and now get a bit less than 4'200 rpm before it cuts the ignition. I think the low 4'000's is a pretty safe compromise between extra rpm & horsepower vs reliability. If turning the engine faster I'd replace the connecting rods with billet. If you go crazy and get over 5'000 I would replace the flywheel with billet and/or build a strong steel shield to contain the shrapnel when the flywheel grenades.

Then there is gearing. I don't know of anyone who retails high speed gears. Any race performance shop can produce some custom gears to change your final drive ratio.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
How much faster does the OP want to go?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts