John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 HPX Diesel 4x4 with the Yanmar engine. Last week the Gator suddenly quit running. It will try to start (hits on a couple of cylinders) then dies. All lights are working correctly. Won't run even if key is left in start position.

Since it appeared to be a fuel problem I have done the following (not in order):
1) Replaced the Filter assembly and filter
2) Used a hose direct to the tank (trying to eliminate the chance of a clogged tank pickup filter)
3) Removed the shutoff solenoid (trying to eliminate a non-functioning solenoid)
4) Primed the injectors (cracked open until fuel seeped out during start)
5) Checked the fuses
6) Checked tank return line for positive overflow (indirect check of the lift pump)
7) Filled the new filter using the priming lever (making sure primer works).

So, I'm stuck on what to do next before the expensive JD Service Dept. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Not knowing the age of the engine or it's condition. I'd do a compression check as lower compression makes it difficult for a diesel to start. Also verify the glow plugs and power supply circuit are performing as it should. Low cranking speed will also contribute to difficult starting.

If the diesel died suddenly (similar to when shutting off with key), I'd suspect stop solenoid and it's associated wiring. If it slowed to a stop. Slow meaning just slower than when shutting off with key, I'd focus on all aspects of the fuel system including lower cetane diesel fuel.

Typically once fuel is available at the injector (via cracked fitting) the other cylinders are likely to pick up after running briefly. Perhaps don't tighten the fitting up too fast after that cylinder fires.

It might be worth taking the fuel filter assembly off and make certain the internal passages are unobstructed along with integrity of lift pump.

DON'T be tempted to use starting fluid.

Good luck!

·
Registered
291 Posts
On the Yanmars, presuming you might have the same configuration I do on my NV30 engines, the fuel pump is controlled by a dual solenoid. The first one is when you start. That gave you the initial go. The second one is a "stay open" solenoid that keeps the fuel going while running when the starting solenoid goes off. I suspect that to be the cause. You can test by hot wiring the stay open side and see if your engine runs or quits. If running, there's an electrical issue on the switched power line to it. If it doesn't run, it's the solenoid. Consider getting the tech manual off eBay which will give you the troubleshooting procedures with pictures, wiring diagrams, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm down for awhile since the battery gave up and due to COVID nobody has a BCI 45 battery. The Gator ran fine then shut off and next morning I couldn't get it started. Originally thought water in the fuel but clearing the filter twice and replacing the filter assembly should have cleared that.

I am running off road diesel so I'll drain the system and put in road diesel. Next per your suggestion I'll double check the glow plug.

I looked and this model diesel has a mechanical lift pump and I haven't found a start fuel solenoid yet but will double check.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Shutoff solenoid is to the left of the fuel filter. At least it is on my 855D

Excerpts from the 855D manual:

The fuel shutoff solenoid controls the flow of fuel inside the injection pump. When the solenoid is energized (ignition key to Start), the solenoid pulls in and allows fuel to be pumped to the injectors. When the key is turned off, return springs extend the solenoid to the shut off position, The solenoid stops the flow of the fuel injector pump by forcing the governor rack to the NO FUEL position., causing hte fuel injection to stop supplying fuel to the injectors.

The fuel shutoff solenoid has two coils inside, pull-in and one hold-in coil. The hold-in coil is energized whenever the key switch is in the ON or Start position. The pull-in coil is energized only when in the START position and start criteria are met.

Troubleshooting section for no start:
Faulty fuel shutoff solenoid circuit or fuel shutoff solenoid. --- Test electrical circuit, replace fuel shutoff solenoid.

Fuel shutoff must pull in when key switch is turned to START position and stay in when key is in the RUN position. Listen for clicking as key is cycled.

Hold-in coil resistance: 23.6 ohms
Pull-in coil resistance: 0.4 ohms (+/- 10% for both)

Suggest you procure a copy of the technical manual. There's good information within.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I understand the fuel shutoff solenoid, it can be tested by removing the solenoid which allows fuel flow. Of course, the Gator can't be stopped with it out.

I'll get the Volt meter out and check the coils.

·
Super Moderator
3,187 Posts
I'm down for awhile since the battery gave up and due to COVID nobody has a BCI 45 battery. The Gator ran fine then shut off and next morning I couldn't get it started. Originally thought water in the fuel but clearing the filter twice and replacing the filter assembly should have cleared that.

I am running off road diesel so I'll drain the system and put in road diesel. Next per your suggestion I'll double check the glow plug.

I looked and this model diesel has a mechanical lift pump and I haven't found a start fuel solenoid yet but will double check.
Below are the specs on a BCI 45, you might be able to substitute a different battery group number ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts