John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, Maintenance man for 3 gators.

Got a busted weight on a AM135531 clutch in a diesel HPX, searched this site and several others(this one had the most activity) and could not find anything on rebuilding a primary. I've done several over the years and have this one apart but can't find any parts, JD doesn't show a breakdown. Looking for parts, weight is a J-18 or maybe the MFG of this clutch?

Found places like this are the best for info and since I have 3 gators to work on, HPX and 2 4x6's, will need some help from time to time.

Thanks, Larry

·
Registered
764 Posts
Where did you look at JD to say they don't have a parts breakdown?

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/64869/referrer/navigation/pgId/75689920

Hopefully the link above will work directly as I'm seeing a parts breakdown for the Primary.

3 - Kit
Part NumberVGA12191
Qty Req1
Remarks(PKG OF 3), CAM ARM

You are responsible for verifying this is the correct kit for you machine.

Let us know what you end up doing and post the pn's to help those who may ask in the future.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 200mph!

I'm on the jdparts page often having several different units to manage and it can sometimes be a bit tricky to navigate for an old fart like myself, I guess one problem was had the picture with a number but no number to the right, had to look closer. My clutch has been superseded and after some more investigation the new clutch does use the J-18 weights, assuming they are identical. So do you think the bolts and spring would be the same? Everything but the one weight is OK but since I'm there might as well replace some other stuff just to freshen it up, wondering why the don't break down the spider? I'd do the rollers and slides if I could get them. BTW, is this a comet clutch?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm not 100% certain that it is a Comet, but always thought they supplied the CVT's for these models. I know the TEAM clutches have their name on it.

Agree the JDParts diagrams are tricky to navigate and thought they have less info about the parts then they had to previously.

I bet if you contacted Comet they would be able to supply new rollers and other misc. items.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Found this link describing how they made their own rollers for the weights in the event it helps in any way.

https://tractorpoint.com/forum/john-deere-gator/193302/1/Metal-rollers-for-4x2-JD-Gator-primary-clutch.html

I used 4 P-48-12 bushings. Specified a 7/16 dia. for the inside bushing bore. These are standard drill bushings fully hardened. I then ordered 4 7/16 inch OD. x 3/8 inch ID. pressure theated bronze bushings. Pressed them into the bushings and bored the ID. to final size. The part number specs out the OD. and Length. You supply the ID. that you want. These are every day standard bushings you can order threw McMaster Carr or any tooling company. Bronze bushings thru your bearing supply house.

Added in Edit:

Looks like the Gatorguy.com has bushings...

Hardened steel clutch roller sets w/ inserts and spacers for 4x2/6x4 drive clutches. 75.00, free shipping. Save your old spider. Re-do your own clutch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went out yesterday and did a close inspection, actually kind of amazed of how good of shape this clutch is in considering it's age the abuse we put it through and the fact it's out in the open. I can't see anything that needs replaced other then the weights, sliders are tight and no sign of any damage to the rollers which again is amazing considering factors mentioned above and the actual weight of the weights, heaviest ones I've ever seen, might replace the spring but the engagement has been so smooth lately not sure I'll even do that. I use to race snowmobiles years ago and clutch fine tuning got to be a habit, don't think I need to be so picky with this. Going to order weights today, thanks for the help 200 and I did save that web site just in case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
had same basic issue, you have to buy one of their "special" manuals. I found one through a google search which helped with reassembly but as It wasn't for my particular model I couldn't use any of the specs or checks. There is a guy called the "Clutch Doc" that can rebuild them for you try email [email protected] He may be able to get other info you need as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
clutch is fairly simple, I've done several although this is my first JD/comet. Right now have it all back together except I need the torque on the spider, anybody have that?

·
Super Moderator
2,659 Posts
clutch is fairly simple, I've done several although this is my first JD/comet. Right now have it all back together except I need the torque on the spider, anybody have that?

HPX Primary clutch spider 100ft/lbs per Tech Manual

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can any one tell me if the inner threads on this clutch are 14mmx1.5 or 9/16 fine thread?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts