John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2006 HPX diesel that intermittently blows the 30 amp fuse when the ignition key is turned to start mode. The fuel delivery and starter solenoids are both on this circuit. I do not understand why the fuel solenoid has a three wire lead. I am sure it has something to do with the run cycle and start cycle, but not sure how they relate to one another. the starter solenoid draws only 5 amps. I cant imagine the fuel start circuit drawing more than that. When it does not blow fuses it starts just fine! If I by pass the ignition start circuit with the key turned to "run" I can start the gator every time and run it all day! Any help is deeply appreciated.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The fuel shutoff solenoid has 3 wires. White, red and black. Black is ground, white (larger wire) is the pull in circuit and red is the hold in wire. During the PULL IN of solenoid, the white AND the red are engergized. This could amount to about 20 to 25 amps until the PULL IN circuit (white wire) is cut off by releasing the key to run position. You are correct that the wires for the fuel PULL IN and starter solenoid are the same circuit. So something is drawing more amps than normal. I would suspect the fuel solenoid as this is the most common part to fail. The only way to know for sure is to test the circuits with an amp probe to confirm. Also check the plug at back of key switch for a bad connection/corrosion.
This also maybe a handy test to do if you have a meter...
Fuel Shutoff Solenoid Test

Reason:

To verify fuel shutoff solenoid is functioning properly.
Equipment:

Ohmmeter
Procedure:

1. Park machine on level surface with key switch off.
2. Lock park brake.
3. Disconnect fuel shutoff solenoid connector.

MIF
4. Measure and record the resistance across each combination of terminals as listed below.
Fuel Shutoff Solenoid Continuity:

A (Blk) to C (Wht) 0.4 ohms
A (Blk) to B (Red) 24 ohms
B (Red) to C (Wht) 24 ohms
A, B or C to solenoid case 0 ohms
Results:

If continuity is not correct, replace fuel shutoff solenoid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Xcopterdoc,
Thank you so much for the great feedback. I will do these tests. The specs are particularly helpful. With the amp draw that you state, I am confident the solenoid is the culprit. I'd love to find a service manual for this gator. I am a volunteer for Camp Prime Time. Check out the Web site at Camp Prime Time - Children's Camp in the Cascade Mountains of Washington State I am sure you will find it as heart warming as I do. I have have the dubious honor of being one of the go to guys for their repairs to help them keep costs down. Having one of these manuals would be a God send for the camp. If you or anyone knows where I can get one of these at a nominal cost, it would be deeply appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts