John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a problem that kept getting worse until now it only idles and when you step on the gas, it runs violently rough. I bled the nut above the injectors and it started running great for about an hour and then started running rough again. I think it is getting air but not sure. I have bled again and it won't run smooth at all. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Before throwing parts at it, I would drain the fuel and clean the entire fuel delivery system from the filter to tank. Refill with fresh fuel, bleed and see what happens. It's amazing what kind of trash ends up in the fuel and how algie can grow into a slimy mess clogging the fuel lines.

2nd thought... Can't remember if there is an auxiliary fuel pump to supply fuel to the high pressure pump. Might want to check if one exists on your machine and if it is operational first.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help! I am getting plenty of fuel on the low side of the high pressure pump. I checked the lift pump and all is well as is the fuel shut off valve. The only thing is I don't know how long to bleed the lines at the injector. I cranked the engine over for a cumilive time of about 20 minutes and never got a great squirt of diesel out of it.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I don't have a manual handy but will relay an experience I had with my Yanmar powered JD 3-cylinder tractor. The fuel became contaminated with algae requiring the fuel system up to the filter to be cleaned.

After cleaning the fuel system, the factory process required the fittings at the injector to be cracked open slightly to allow air/fuel to escape while cranking. After the engine started there was a specific sequence to which fuel injector line was closed. This was a completely manual gravity fed system to the injector pump.

The general idea is to eliminate air in the fuel system and get the fuel flowing staring at the filter and working towards the injectors.

Throwing a few items out there...

Does the Fuel shutoff solenoid operate correctly? Does it pull in when starting and run position?

Is the O-ring in the filter housing installed (possibly allowing air to enter)

Cracked fuel lines?

Fuel transfer pump have adequate volume?

Do you get any exhaust smoke? If so what color?

Is fuel know to be good?

Filter on/off valve in correct position?

I'm typing this on my phone, so I can't get back to your comments. I apologize if I repeated something that was stated already.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. I have checked the fuel but not replaced it. It looks very clean. Plus... The first time I bled the system, it ran awesome for over an hour and this is the same fuel. I really felt like it has air leaking into the system. I am going to run thru the list you (200 mph) gave me and try all of that again. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, it does smoke a tiny bit but only when I crank the starter for an extended period of time. The smoke is white ish.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been having a problem that kept getting worse until now it only idles and when you step on the gas, it runs violently rough. I bled the nut above the injectors and it started running great for about an hour and then started running rough again. I think it is getting air but not sure. I have bled again and it won't run smooth at all. Any suggestions?
When you say bled the nut above the injectors are you talking about the 17-18 mm nut on top and is that supposed to be full of fuel

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
When you say bled the nut above the injectors are you talking about the 17-18 mm nut on top and is that supposed to be full of fuel

It's nice to see people offering advice, but please be aware the timing of the last post. It was over 4.5 years ago.

It would have been nice or even courteous if the original posters followed up with the solution, even if it took months to resolve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts