John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If possible, I need the outer measurement of the inside of the spring cup, as depicted in the attached photo. The part that the primary spring goes OVER (I imagine this will be very close to the same as the ID of the spring). I'm guessing it's going to be close to 1.5"

I don't have a disassembled one available right now, and am traveling a few hours to work on my machine. I'm going to be shimming the primary spring to try and alleviate a barely dragging belt engagement, and don't have time to wait on a proper shim to come in the mail... so I will be modifying a washer or two.

Thanks for any help!

primary spring cup.JPG

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have one at the hangar, but I’m already home for the evening. I will try to remember to measure and post first thing tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have one at the hangar, but I’m already home for the evening. I will try to remember to measure and post first thing tomorrow morning.
I guess while you're measuring things, if you would, go ahead a measure the large part of the hole that the OD of the spring touches. I need to know how much wiggle room I have with these washers (the spring is right at 1-15/16", hopefully the hole is 2", but I doubt it). They are just a tad larger than the spring, but if they will fit down into the hole, I'll leave the OD alone and just worry about boring out the hole.

Thanks!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shim I.D. 1.25”
Shim.O.D. 1.73”
Inset I.D. 1.75”
Thanks for getting back to me, but we must have different primaries. My spring OD is 1-15/16, so it wouldn't even fit inside your primary.

And are those actual shim measurements, or measurements of the part of the drawing I need above?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hold on Hill Billy! I measured the shim for setting belt spacing, NOT the spring area! Sorry. I was in a hurry and didn’t pay attention. I will be back out there about 2PM for FedEx and UPS receiving. I will get your measurements then. I never shim there so I made an incorrect assumption.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hold on Hill Billy! I measured the shim for setting belt spacing, NOT the spring area! Sorry. I was in a hurry and didn’t pay attention. I will be back out there about 2PM for FedEx and UPS receiving. I will get your measurements then. I never shim there so I made an incorrect assumption.
No problem... thanks for your troubles!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No worries! I had already went and fixed it by the time you replied... and I STILL didn't measure it myself for future reference! haha

Thanks for your help. :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live in "Race City, USA", and stopped by a used NASCAR parts store to get the shims that I was gonna grind-to-size. Turns out these must be some kind of unobtanium type metal, and grinding them was taking too long, so I gave up and went a different route for now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts