John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 2. 8 inches of travel, 1350 lbs of lift. There are alot of options on Ebay and Amazon, so any model you have- you can make it happen for you.

I have 2001 4x2 and 4x6 machines so much of what is written here is for them- however, if you have a bed, you just need to find the mounting areas, measure it with the bed down, and measure it with the bed open to a place you feel will dump your wet dirt out, then shop the specs for lengths and desired push/pull force.

These do work, but a few words of caution. They don't come with limit switches which will shut it down. I searched here and there are people here who know how to install limit switches, but automotive electric is like a foreign language to me and I make do without that "protection"

The first one I bought was from northern tool for about 150 bucks. My wife over EXTENDED it the first day, and broke the bracket on the bottom end, because the metal mounting just sits in the plastic motor housing. I fixed it by making a aluminum sleeve and part of the sleeve became more support for the mounting bracket. My son made 60 round trips with 1000 lbs of dirt 20 acres down the trail with no issues the next day. Wife uses it and over RETRACTED it on the second trip the third day. (I DID raise it, and used a sharpie on the ram so she could stop raising the bed when she saw the line appear, but frankly the load had already completely dumped anyway) When she broke it the second time I looked harder at other offerings, wasn't happy with the plastic housing on the bottom, and my 3/16 aluminum angle 2x2 I had sleeved it with was bent to helll.

These are almost silent operating.

When I found these shown below, I purchased them feeling like the pin hole bracket on the bottom was more substantial and they are.

On my 2001 4x2 Trail Gator the bracket is offset to the side in the space to the right of the trans, and it has a cam or bell crank shaped, two ears facing forward. Located on the same rail as the bed hinges. The actuator lays almost horizontally when closed. The bed has two holes drilled in bed framing members. I used CPVC to shim the distance to keep the ram end from sliding off to one side or the other, I'm sure bad alignment is not a good thing. The top or ram side needs a four inch long bolt, maybe 5/16x4" and it bends right away, so it self aligns LOL. You will also have to grind the two lower ears to give the motor body some clearance as it raises, which is probably what broke it the first time- contacting it, even though I had ground them.

On my 2001 4x6, the mounts are dead center, and down in the bottom of the chassis, so it sits in this space and raises and lowers more or less vertically. The actuator is about 13 inche long closed and has 8 inches of ram travel, more than enough- so be careful not to over extend or over retract, and you shouldn't have a problem.

Autozone has on off on switches that are pretty easy to wire in- even for me.in retrospect, if I have to replace these, I'm definitely looking for a spring loaded one that will return to off (middle) when you take your finger off it. If I'm not mistaken, it would called a on off on momentary switch.
DC 12V Linear Actuator 1320LBS/6000N 200mm for Auto Car Lift Heavy Duty Medical
Money Back Guarantee
Order number: 09-06782-34044
Item ID: 373420313234
Item price: $99.98 (2 x $49.99)
Seller: idealgoods2016 (666)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've used both of these actuators. The Northern Tool (Ironton) actuator is a bit beefier than the ebay actuator. Both have plenty of power, but the ebay actuator is slow, 15-20 seconds to raise/lower. The ebay actuator crapped after less than a hundred cycles. The Ironton actuator was doing well with over a hundred cycles when I sold the Gator.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The northern tool model has a plastic base housing, and the bottom pin mount can only be oriented the ay it comes. the ones I got from Idealgoods has a indexed pin mount you can unscrew the retainer plate and rotate the pin mount 90*.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I‘ve searched the forum and this post seems to have the most info about off brand actuators for the dump beds. Has anyone used a non-Deere solution for the Gator 825? I have the 2019 Gator 825M S4 and am wanting to add an electric dump bed without spending $1K.

·
Super Moderator
3,640 Posts
I‘ve searched the forum and this post seems to have the most info about off brand actuators for the dump beds. Has anyone used a non-Deere solution for the Gator 825? I have the 2019 Gator 825M S4 and am wanting to add an electric dump bed without spending $1K.
Look here as well...Dump Bed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts