John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are 5 Photos of what I have done to Insulate and Heat my Gator and they are attached to this thread. The opening in the door I closed with .060 aluminum covered with self adhesive camo vinyl from CAMO4U Catalog. I installed a second muffler from Midas, which I believe is off a Chrysler K Car, I connected that to the original muffler with a modified small U pipe to help reduce noise by at least 30-40%. The Electric fuel injection automatically adjusts for the change. The cab headliner and insulation behind the seats I purchased in bulk from TRACTORSEATS.com, they have all colors and sizes, I used 3M glue to attach to the cab top and roll cage, the stereo also helps hold the insulation up. The piece behind the seat goes the full width of the cab and is loose unattached and held in place by the seats and goes over the air intake and is 2-3" below the bottom of the back of the cab to seal it. These two help with sound canceling and insulation. The Heater came from the same place as cab enclosure which came from UTV Cab Enclosures. With the fan on high you can feel the heat through out the cab. To help the engine warm up faster, which makes the heater heat faster, in the winter I have a piece of cardboard slid between the radiator and the oil cooler in-front of it which I can slide out easily because the engine will over heat after awhile. I have also insulated the sides in front of the doors with the same foam and used in other areas to stop cold air from entering the cab. All of these changes have made a huge difference in noise and over all riding experience for my Gator year around. I hope this info helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
904 Posts
Nice job!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not mean for it to sound like I glued the headliner to the roll cage, I sprayed 3M foam adhesive around the outside edges of the top, and clamped them on until it dryed, then reinstalled the factory Deere clamps with longer bolts and put the top back on with the factory radio and roll cage helping to hold the headliner up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
looks good. What kind of stereo do you have>?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John Deere Factory am/fm weather band, it is a good radio, however they are awful proud of it $$$$$. Fits real nice and speaker and two dome lights are located in good positions. I did change the antenna, it came with a small tape antenna. And I put an automobile telescoping type, laid flat between the radio top and the roof, which improved the reception big time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are 5 Photos of what I have done to Insulate and Heat my Gator and they are attached to this thread. The opening in the door I closed with .060 aluminum covered with self adhesive camo vinyl from CAMO4U Catalog.
Which pattern did you choose from www.camo4u.com - I really like the look of it...

·
Registered
483 Posts
John Deere Factory am/fm weather band, it is a good radio, however they are awful proud of it $$$$$. Fits real nice and speaker and two dome lights are located in good positions. I did change the antenna, it came with a small tape antenna. And I put an automobile telescoping type, laid flat between the radio top and the roof, which improved the reception big time.
From what I can tell the JD stereo is really two parts: the headliner assembly sans radio and the radio so the total is over $800.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Headliner and Radio

I used Brown (Mohave) 1" thick foam, it comes 54" wide and by the yard. I purchased 3 yards, but 2 would have been enough. This includes enough to lay a piece over the air intake behind the seats, which I think really helped on the noise and sealing of the bottom of the enosure.
Some of the edges are vinyl only with no foam, I put this part on the front over the rubber windshield seal which helps on the clearance between the top and the seal. have some vice grip welding clamps and pieces of wood lathes or something thin and strong to clamp it down after the glue is applied. Helps if the material is warm where you can stretch a little. The bulk cab foam (Mohave) is very similar to John Deere 55 series tractor interiors. I would shop around on the 3M foam fast spray because $$ vary. My stereo is. Jensen Heavy Duty and seems like $800-$900 Dealer installed in the Deere factory overhead console is probably close to the cost.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Camo Pattern

Real Tree hardwoods green I believe order code RHWG, looks real close to what is on the gator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks awesome, thanks for posting the pics.
I have also heard that installing the optional floor mats on the 850 will also eat up some of the noise.
Have you or anyone else tried the floormats to reduce noise?

·
Registered
146 Posts
My 1" cab insulation arrived today and I couldn't wait to get home. At home, did some measurements and went to cutting. Roughed the headliner in (held up by some dow rods) and did the back behind the seats. I also cut two 14" x 16" squares to place under the seats. Fired things up and went for a 10 mile ride. MAJOR improvement!!!!! Hard to explain the difference, the machine is still loud; however, the "echo" inside the cab is gone. I always had major problems with the machine's loudness when you laid on the throttle at 30 and above. It's like the vibration and echo from the engine are significantly reduced. I took the "other" half for a ride and she even commented that it was way better. You still hear the engine, just not the annoying echo. I would highly recommend dropping $100 on cab foam. I used the black 1". Thanks Popham, you've made my machine infinitely more enjoyable!!!! Wish I had done this 4000 miles ago!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts