John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
It all depends on condition. A couple years ago I bought a 2006 HPX for $1,000 knowing it needed about $2k worth of work.
If its supposed to be in good running condition, its a scam.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is it on Craigslist? For some reason scammers love to use Gators as bait. Clues: crazy low price, one picture with a email address superimposed, bad grammar, features listed that make no sense. Good luck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Is it on Craigslist? For some reason scammers love to use Gators as bait. Clues: crazy low price, one picture with a email address superimposed, bad grammar, features listed that make no sense. Good luck.
Agree ^^ . I don’t understand why they seem to be the top pick for scam ads. Maybe low viewership by non interwebz old guys like us make them a good item for this. In the tri-state area, prob a 1/3 to 1/2 of gator listings are fraudulent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So, what's the scam?

I hear about 'scammers' all the time, however, with something like a Gator I haven't got it figured. Do they actually hope that someone will send them some $ without looking at the item?
Somebody explain how 'scamming' works please...ahh, no, I don't plan to pick up a 2nd profession...(actually it would be the 4th if I did).
The ad in question was pulled in less than a day, thus there must be a lot of white hats out there flagging stuff.
Regards,

·
Registered
65 Posts
I hear about 'scammers' all the time, however, with something like a Gator I haven't got it figured. Do they actually hope that someone will send them some $ without looking at the item?
Somebody explain how 'scamming' works please...ahh, no, I don't plan to pick up a 2nd profession...(actually it would be the 4th if I did).
The ad in question was pulled in less than a day, thus there must be a lot of white hats out there flagging stuff.
Regards,
I haven't figured it out. My best guess is the scammer is collecting email addresses of anybody gullible enough to bite on the listing and then sells the list to other scammers.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Regards,
I suspect collecting deposits to hold, at a minimum. Probably more sinister plots too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts