John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am not so keen on John Deere Green these days. We will be taking the 2017 590i Gator in tomorrow for another cable replacement at 616 hours. This will be to the tune of $425+. Not much good to say about that. This is the shift cable and only a month or so ago it was the parking brake cable at $350 ? The dealer seems just fine with this rate of fail. Our old 2005 CX Gator is 16 years old and has well over 2,500 hours and has never been to the dealer. Very disappointing. Built to fail? :( Wonder if the Polaris UTV is any better?

·
Registered
2020 XUV590E
25 Posts
A Polaris dealer told me bad things about the equivalent Polaris to the 590... different stuff that breaks but still stuff breaks just after warranty expires. May be worth doing the work your self... the part for the parking brake cable is $50 and its about an hour of work... Between installing a winch twice, a tracking device, an ignition cutoff switch, and doing 2 clutches on 2 machines, I'm getting very efficient at taking these things apart and they are not that complex.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A Polaris dealer told me bad things about the equivalent Polaris to the 590... different stuff that breaks but still stuff breaks just after warranty expires. May be worth doing the work your self... the part for the parking brake cable is $50 and its about an hour of work... Between installing a winch twice, a tracking device, an ignition cutoff switch, and doing 2 clutches on 2 machines, I'm getting very efficient at taking these things apart and they are not that complex.
I'd take a Polaris 570 over a 590 any day! Way easier to work on, and much smoother running machine!

·
Registered
9 Posts
2 months after buying our New RSX860M I had to replace the parking brake cable. jrkane77 is right,The cable retails for around $60 and it took me about an hour to change it out.The replacement cable was far more robust.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Nothing like paying for poor quality and not using the warranty.

Win win for JD

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nothing like paying for poor quality and not using the warranty.

Win win for JD
The $60 replacement part was free because it was under warranty. It was quicker for me to fix it myself than to make 2 trips to john deere dealer to drop off and pick up my gator.
My wife uses the gator daily and loves it. Other than the cable replacement I have no complaints.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Glad to hear they gave you the part free and allowed yourself to put on to reduce your disruption. 👍

Reactions: Bradhill
1 - 7 of 7 Posts