John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I know this forum is all about things gator. But maybe someone has experience with a Buck? It's one tough son-of-a-gun and has served me well for MANY years. I've never done anything but change engine oil/filters/batteries. It just goes and goes. But I'm getting concerned about the front differential. It has started to "yowl" in reverse. I have no idea of the lube required - I'm sure its way past time to change it out.

Advice? Lube type?

Thx, JRH

Registered
Follow this link to find you operators manual. I'm certain it will contain the information about lube type and amount you seek.

JD Manual Lookup

Advice: Provide better service to your equipment over the years 馃榾

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Follow this link to find you operators manual. I'm certain it will contain the information about lube type and amount you seek.

JD Manual Lookup

Advice: Provide better service to your equipment over the years 馃榾
I have the original Ops manual. In the maintenance section for service intervals anything other than the most simple of simple tasks state "Dealer Service Required" or something to the same. As for Lubrication nothing is specified for the differentials.

Over all the years it still has just less than 100 hours on it. The seals are tight without any signs of seepage. Overall its had just transportation duty. It has the power and gearing of much more but its over all weight is less than adequate for safety. It's just a low speed, light load work-a-holic with a solid rear axle, swing-arm suspension. I've always loved the geared automatic/manual xmission.

Guess I'll have to find and buy the danged shop manual.

Registered
Here's what I found in the manual... :unsure:

Liquid Types and Capacities
Liquids
Oil type (engine and transmission) (10W40 Summer) (10W30 Winter) SAE, 4-stroke mineral-based engine oil.
API classification SG, SH or SJ. Refer to OIL VISCOSITY CHART for proper grade.

Coolant Ethylene-glycol/water mix (50% coolant, 50% water). Use coolant specifically designed for aluminum engines

Fuel type Regular unleaded gasoline

Fuel octane 87 (R + M)/2 or higher

Differential (front and rear) 75W90 or 80W90 (API GL-5)

Hydraulic brake Brake fluid, DOT 4

Propeller shaft joint grease SAE Multi-Purpose Moly Grease

Cable Lubricant Silicone Spray Lube

Suspension Grease Multi-Purpose HD Lithium Complex Grease

Brake Fluid DOT 4 Brake Fluid

Capacities
Fuel tank 22 L including 4 L reserve (5.8 U.S. gal including 1.1 gal reserve)

Engine/transmission oil oil change with filter 3.0 L (3.17 qt)

Coolant 2.5 L (2.65 qt)

Differential (front) 610 ml (21 U. S. oz)

Differential (rear) 200 ml (7 U.S. oz)

Brake Fluid 250 ml (8.5 oz)

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Here's what I found in the manual... :unsure:

Liquid Types and Capacities
Liquids

Differential (front and rear) 75W90 or 80W90 (API GL-5)
Mr 200mph, Thank you sincerely. It's not in my OEM manual but no matter - I will absolve my lack of maintenance sins tomorrow. I just happened to have a case of gear lube for everything else ready for this small project. If the lube comes out nasty I'll submit myself for a threshing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
The Buck gets more use now. The Land Cruiser in the background has yet another sheared front axle. Sigh. Use a tractor when a tractor is justified. A Land Cruiser is not a tractor. It wouldn't be problem except for a gov-locker in the front. The axles just can't handle a locker in low range.

Registered
No problem. The info was in the owners manual provided using the link posted earlier.

Good luck with everything!!!

Super Moderator
Folks, I know this forum is all about things gator. But maybe someone has experience with a Buck? It's one tough son-of-a-gun and has served me well for MANY years. I've never done anything but change engine oil/filters/batteries. It just goes and goes. But I'm getting concerned about the front differential. It has started to "yowl" in reverse. I have no idea of the lube required - I'm sure its way past time to change it out.

Advice? Lube type?

Thx, JRH
Here is a link to the Operators Manual for the Buck 500.

Look at the index on left hand side under 鈥淪pecifications鈥 from there you should have all the information you requested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts