John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So working on my father-in-law's gator 590i, because he was having problems shifting. I read about the clutches on these sticking, so figured it wouldn't be too bad of a job. I am very familiar with CVT's, and was a certified Polaris mechanic for 10+ years. I did take the front plate, spring, and weights off the drive clutch, and it was sticking, so the clutch was not returning to the fully open position at idle. I used some emery cloth to smooth out the slides that the spider buttons ride against, and polished them. Clutch moves good in both directions now. Put the belt back on, and still have the spinning issue. He never had a problem before this, so not sure why it would still be grabbing and turning the secondary. Hard to tell if it is an alignment issue or a problem with the belt. There is probably 1 1/4" of deflection in the belt, so its definitely not tight. Anyone do this procedure and still have an issue? I'm confident it isn't the primary clutch now that I got that fixed. Thanks

-Jason

1 - 1 of 1 Posts