John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m new to forum have just brought a tired diesel gator and need advise on a few parts I need I’m in the Uk and parts for the older gators are silly prices from dealers so looking for alternative. I need a new primary clutch mine works fine but is really worn and rattles bad on idle and not sure if it is complete as I think it should have a cover mine is missing. I think there are aftermarket ones available but not sure where to go to for one in Uk. Also I need new drive chains mine are at full adjustment and still slack are they a standard size ?. Thanks for any help or advise.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As for the primary clutch, you said it works fine, but is "worn" and rattles bad on idle. Not sure how it's worn, but if it works fine I'd run it as is. Rattling may indicate worn buttons and if that's the case, these things are pretty easy to rebuild, once you remove them.
The drive chains are a standard size. Take a link to your local farm implement store (NOT John Deere) and they can set you up. As a stopgap measure, remove a link and you'll regain a bunch of adjustment. Good luck.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Welcome.

What makes you think aftermarket clutches are available for your Gator? JD does a great job of keeping the aftermarket suppressed in supplying more economical parts. Perhaps search and let us know what you find. Parts in the US are also expensive. JD is very proud of what they sell and there are generally very few alternatives.

Take some time and search this forum for the numerous threads pertaining to clutch repairs. It's a common issue across the different models and been discussed many times and you'll become an expert in no time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Chain: I do not know the chain size, but it likely is a commodity item that can be purchased in bulk and made to size. A few simple measurements should point you to the correct size.

I'm not certain the part number, but sometimes the number of links and chain size can be found in the item description, such as this example which states 92 links #60 roller chain: JD Chain

I'd also check the sprockets/gears for wear. Typically both wear chain and sprockets wear.

You can look up par numbers at www.jdparts.com

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah, suppose to be a cover on that, tried to look on jdparts to see if you can even get it but page seems to be down at the moment. I see a couple of problems, rollers are junk and not sure but that cover reinforces the towers so they may also be spread. I'd replace it, you'll find little help from dealers on a rebuild. You might try Certified Parts Corp. for an alternative, they own Comet clutches which is probably what this is anyways, they may help they may not, your market is limited because it's a diesel. Good luck!

·
Registered
857 Posts
There must be a reason why someone removed the cover and put the bolts back into place. Is it possible to contact the previous owner?

The primary clutch cover and some repair parts looks to be available from JD.

Recommend the OP make some effort to review the part availability on JDPARTS.com and the illustrated drawings. It might be a good idea to procure the operators manual and better yet the workshop manual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can buy a new clutch from J D but over £500 + vat . on closer inspection there are bits of metal under the cover retaining bolts. so I think it was ripped off at some point and yes I do think the towers could spread open and shatter the whole thing. I may make up a plate to hold them in place as temporary repair.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yes you can make one or the cover is available for under $40US.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I honestly can't believe this is working fine, looks like the spider is cutting into the weights and movable sheave, roller is half gone, can't clearly tell but weight profile looks messed up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I was surprised it works so well . I was hoping to find someone in Uk who could rebuild it at a reasonable cost.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts