John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a John deere 850D diesel gator that wont start. Has about 850 hours on it. It would only click and not turn over, . I jumped the starter solenoid and got the motor to turn. Tested the relay and the wires goin to it. Have a brand new battery. I think its the starter solenoid, but not exactly sure

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
“Tested the relay and wires”.

Sounds like you know how to use a voltmeter, therefore suggest you do a “voltage drop” test.

Many good videos out there to learn the process. Great diagnostic tool for testing starter circuits before buying parts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
“Tested the relay and wires”.

Sounds like you know how to use a voltmeter, therefore suggest you do a “voltage drop” test.

Many good videos out there to learn the process. Great diagnostic tool for testing starter circuits before buying parts
Did a voltage drop test on battery, didn't change the voltage but slightly, cause of the instrument cluster lights. So, not really sure, but, suspectin the solenoid

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Do it on the circuit. Pay particular attention where probes are attached as the battery can have multiple transition points. Battery post, terminal and wire at termination. Those interfaces and the results along the line to battery is important. Bosch or some other well known starter manufacturer has a few good videos or pdf on how to perform a voltage drop test, what points to test on the starter and interpretation of results. Sounds like you may have done
15% of the effort so far in testing battery.

to be honest and mean to offense by this, but it doesn’t sound like you did a “voltage drop test” that I’m referencing.Learning how to do it can save a lot of time

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a John deere 850D diesel gator that wont start. Has about 850 hours on it. It would only click and not turn over, . I jumped the starter solenoid and got the motor to turn. Tested the relay and the wires goin to it. Have a brand new battery. I think its the starter solenoid, but not exactly sure
If you jumped the solenoid over, and the machine fired up, there's really no reason to test anything else. Replace the solenoid!

The solenoid is clicking when you turn the key, so you have 12 volts feeding the internal coil... and when you jumped the contacts over and the motor spun, that proved you have a proper 12 volts from battery to starter. Sometimes the two internal contacts that complete the circuit from battery to the starter get rusted up and quit conducting, and all you get it is the audible clicking from the coil moving up and down inside..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you jumped the solenoid over, and the machine fired up, there's really no reason to test anything else. Replace the solenoid!

The solenoid is clicking when you turn the key, so you have 12 volts feeding the internal coil... and when you jumped the contacts over and the motor spun, that proved you have a proper 12 volts from battery to starter. Sometimes the two internal contacts that complete the circuit from battery to the starter get rusted up and quit conducting.
Thanks man, that's what I figured, but I just wanted yalls advice to see if that's what yall thought it was. I don't like throwin parts at machines tho

1 - 7 of 7 Posts