John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2013 John Deere Gator RSX 850i it has about 750 miles on it. A few months ago I noticed that I had to "jump start" my gator to get it started a few times. I figured I had a bad battery so I went to tractor supply and bought a new one (never been impressed with the charging system since day one) I figured that the alternator/stator was so underpowered that it drained the battery. Well I bought the new battery and one day of riding the battery was completely drained and would not start without jump. Upon research I read about a 40 AMP fuse melting that goes to the voltage regulator. Sure enough my fuse was melted I replaced it and a few weeks later decided to pull it out to look and it was beginning to melt again? Anyone have a solution to this melting fuse problem? Only addition I have to the gator is (2) LED lights that was added and I don't use them that much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I had the same issue ended up being caused by a bad ballast for my hid lights. If you have them you might check that. From what I have read on the forum it seems to be a common problem and what medic said about a better made fuse block would fix your problem unless their is something drawing a lot of amps that needs to be checked and I would stay with a 40 amp fuse if you don't have a abnormal amp draw and you are just seeing the high temp at the fuse contacts then its probably a connection issue or low quality metals used. installing a higher amp fuse can bring a unwanted risk.

·
Registered
371 Posts
So we are back to the voltage regulator fuse still melting talked to jd and they told me not to run my hid's at idle but they still haven't figured out why it melts when only using the halogen lights

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had the same problem with mine! I just got a light bar installed and it blew the voltage regulator. Guy said it was fixed with a brand new voltage regulator and I picked it up! Then went to go ride pulled it off the trailer and it melted a 30 amp fuse and wouldn’t crank so I’m pretty sure it has fried another voltage regulator! Any suggestions? I’m thinking about just taking the light bar off! It’s not worth the trouble!

·
Super Moderator
2,971 Posts
I have had the same problem with mine! I just got a light bar installed and it blew the voltage regulator. Guy said it was fixed with a brand new voltage regulator and I picked it up! Then went to go ride pulled it off the trailer and it melted a 30 amp fuse and wouldn’t crank so I’m pretty sure it has fried another voltage regulator! Any suggestions? I’m thinking about just taking the light bar off! It’s not worth the trouble!
How many amps does the light bar draw ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts