John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2013 Gator TE. When I first took delivery, everything worked fine. Batteries were only charged about 50%. After I charged it for about 6 hours to what shows 100% an orange LED in the hour meter is illuminated next to a warning symbol. I don’t know what that means. I have gone through the owners manual and they only mention a red flashing LED. Does anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Your manual should have a section on the titled: Using the LCD Charge Meter and the Hour Meter.

From manual:

Charge Meter
The charge meter will continuously monitor the battery charge while the drive/service switch is in the drive mode.

The charge meter (A) has a 10-segment bar graph LCD that displays the battery state of charge.

All segments of the bar graph are turned ON when the battery is full. The number of segments turned ON is reduced to indicate a reduced state-of-charge.
The next-to-last segment will flash when the battery is 70% discharged to indicate that the battery charge is getting low and should soon be recharged.
Continual discharge of the battery bank beyond the 80% discharge level will significantly reduce the cycle life of the batteries.

The next-to-last segment and the last segment will alternately flash when the battery is 80% discharged. The red LED (B ) will also turn ON at this point to get the operator's immediate attention. The vehicle should not be operated with the batteries at this level except to return it to a location where it can be recharged.

Hour Meter
The hour meter (C) shows the number of hours the vehicle has run.
The service interval chart gives necessary service intervals. Use the hour meter and the service interval chart to determine when the vehicle will need service. (See SERVICE INTERVALS Section.)
End of text from manual.

It is not good for batteries to be discharged to such a low level. Once they discharge below a certain state of charge their capacity is diminished. If the batteries were at the 50% mark for a period of time, it is likely some need replacing. Suggest taking the batteries and have them load tested at your favorite mass market auto parts store (Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Advance Auto, etc...)

Report back what you find.

Link to manual (Please note there are different ones depending on SN): OMM165037_K1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should probably restate that the battery was not at 50% but the meter was at 50%, which would mean the batteries were more like 85%. So does that LED mean it’s sensing something wrong with the batteries? This LED is illuminated even at full charge now.

·
Registered
866 Posts
That seems like a likely scenario.

Take the batteries and have them load tested.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Brad64: Do you mind sharing what you've found?

Doing so may help others with similar machines and to improve the quality of these threads by closing them with resolution.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts