John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I’m new to gators. Just bought a 2021 835m gator. I have less than 20 hrs on it. My question is,
When I’m in low range, going down hill with out my foot on the throttle and at any speed and rpm the Gator will jump out of gear on me and make grinding noises. I can get it back in gear by coming to complete stop or by giving it throttle. Sometimes it even does it on level ground. Can someone please tell me what’s wrong?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Why not use the warranty? Let JD resolve and document the issue.

Reactions: Brad Metzger

·
*In memory and respect- RIP*
4,314 Posts
Hi everyone. I’m new to gators. Just bought a 2021 835m gator. I have less than 20 hrs on it. My question is,
When I’m in low range, going down hill with out my foot on the throttle and at any speed and rpm the Gator will jump out of gear on me and make grinding noises. I can get it back in gear by coming to complete stop or by giving it throttle. Sometimes it even does it on level ground. Can someone please tell me what’s wrong?
I believe what you’re describing, is the EBS or engine braking system.

As you travel down hill, the EBS in Secondary Clutch is slowing your decent in the CVT (Continuous Variable Transmission).

Once reach about 3-5 mph, the EBS in the Secondary Clutch releases, which allows “free wheeling” - you described as grinding, until you apply the brakes to come to stop or you lightly feather the accelerator to keep the EBS in the CVT engaged.

Simply put, in order overcome “free wheeling”, lightly feather the accelerator to keep the clutch’s engaged.

If you didn’t receive a copy of the Operators Manual with your purchase, below is a link.

2021 835M Operators Manual

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

As you travel down hill, the EBS in Secondary Clutch is slowing your decent in the CVT (Continuous Variable Transmission).

Once reach about 3-5 mph, the EBS in the Secondary Clutch releases, which allows “free wheeling” - you described as grinding, until you apply the brakes to come to stop or you lightly feather the accelerator to keep the EBS in the CVT engaged.

Simply put, in order overcome “free wheeling”, lightly feather the accelerator to keep the clutch’s engaged.

If you didn’t receive a copy of the Operators Manual with your purchase, below is a link.

It happens at much higher speeds and also on the level. Just got of the phone with John Deere. They don’t have any ideas.

·
4,314 Posts
It happens at much higher speeds and also on the level. Just got of the phone with John Deere. They don’t have any ideas.
Does the shifter actually pop out of gear ?

Does this happen only on deceleration with your foot off the throttle?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

the handle (shifter) doesn’t move. And it only does it on deceleration, when I let off the throttle. And mostly on down hill but will do it on the level once in awhile.

·
4,314 Posts
the handle (shifter) doesn’t move. And it only does it on deceleration, when I let off the throttle. And mostly on down hill but will do it on the level once in awhile.
I‘m almost certain you’re describing the EBS or Engine Braking System. See my previous response to your question on February 21, 2022 ( thread #3 ⬆.)

Answer to your Question

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Mr. Bradhill… He doesn’t believe you🤔

so how does the OP put it back in gear if the shift lever doesn’t move??? Just maybe Mr. Bradhill is on to something. 😄

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mr. Bradhill… He doesn’t believe you🤔

so how does the OP put it back in gear if the shift lever doesn’t move??? Just maybe Mr. Bradhill is on to something. 😄
The ebs should release at 3-5 mph. I’ve watched mine, it usually released at 1-2. Whatever it is popping out happens at much higher speeds like 10+ And only does it in low range. It’s almost like it can’t handle the back pressure of downhill or the deceleration. But it will also do it on the level.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
If under warranty take it back to dealer. do you really want to be tearing into a new machine and throwing your own money at it?

If light throttle is given to keep clutch engaged while going down hill does it still happen?

What happens to engine RPMs when it Releases at 10+ mph as stated above. How does it change?

maybe check cable adjustment in low gear to ensure cable linkage allows lever to be in correct position.
Is it in 4 wheel drive by chance?

if it is jumping out of gear what causes it to go back into gear without grinding the gears? try shifting into high or low while vehicle is moving and you’ll understand it’s nearly impossible to occur without significant noise. 😄

For what these cost there is no way I’d be messing with this on a new machine.

·
4,314 Posts
The ebs should release at 3-5 mph. I’ve watched mine, it usually released at 1-2. Whatever it is popping out happens at much higher speeds like 10+ And only does it in low range. It’s almost like it can’t handle the back pressure of downhill or the deceleration. But it will also do it on the level.
Ahh good to know this happens at 10+ mph, I don’t believe we understood this. I suspect either shift linkage and/or Secondary Clutch issues. Either way your dealership should be involved, you certainly can suggest they look at both the shift linkage and/or Secondary Clutch.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I’m guessing the EBS is faulty. Slipping which makes it feel like it is jumping out of gear.

·
4,314 Posts
I just talked to dealership again. There’s gonna drive down and look at it. I also think your right with secondary clutch thing. Thanks
If not the Secondary and because it apparently only happens in low gear, it very well could be the low speed shift collar in the transfer case ( transmission).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks like the 835M is just plain not engineered properly . Why would they jump out of gear ever . Mine does it no matter the RPM or speed or range setting making sounds like gears grinding together trying to engage . Bad and dangerous . Can't hardly John Deer would put a product on the market like this . Expect this will one day end up in court probably in class action .

·
4,314 Posts
Looks like the 835M is just plain not engineered properly . Why would they jump out of gear ever . Mine does it no matter the RPM or speed or range setting making sounds like gears grinding together trying to engage . Bad and dangerous . Can't hardly John Deer would put a product on the market like this . Expect this will one day end up in court probably in class action .
If the Drive Clutch is hanging up and not releasing the belt, the Gator will be hard to shift into and out gear with the engine running.

If the user continues to force the shifter into and out gear, damage to the shift collars in the transmission can occur.

The end result presents itself with jumping out of gear, as the shift collars ( gears ) have been damaged. The repair for the damaged shift collars below cost the owner around $2900.00.

White Automotive tire Gear Motor vehicle Rim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Update on Gator. The transmission is bad. John Deere is gonna do a recall on the 21-22 gators. The dealer told me to bring it back in September and they’ll replace the transmission then. In the mean time, I’s there after market clutches that help the gators get up to speed without having the engine at 5000 rpm’s+? It seems it takes it for ever to get up to speed. And if you are going uphill it just really slow 8-10 mph. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update on Gator. The transmission is bad. John Deere is gonna do a recall on the 21-22 gators. The dealer told me to bring it back in September and they’ll replace the transmission then. In the mean time, I’s there after market clutches that help the gators get up to speed without having the engine at 5000 rpm’s+? It seems it takes it for ever to get up to speed. And if you are going uphill it just really slow 8-10 mph. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts