John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 4x2 that jumps out of foward..... anyone ever done the repair? Someone told me it is a shift collar, is this right? Any repair manuals like a A&I for these or the Kawaski *sp transmission.

I am very disappointed in my Gator, and while I hear they have improved the newer models- I will never own another. Any why Deere would ever build something that wont go down 30 in rows is beyond me!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Gator....I hope the fix is an easy one...

You should take a test ride on one of the new 825i's or an 855...they are vast improvements over the older Gators and are a blast to use...I wouldn't trade my 825i for anything on the market today...

Good luck to you...

Larry in MD

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have recently repaired a transmission that was doing the same as yours.
I had to erplace the shift collar and the sprockets as well. The part # that I used is am881314 gear kit. You can buy the individual parts but the gear kit is about the same price as the kit. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a '97 4x2 I (we) use in the citrus groves daily. We beat the snot out of it and it still runs great. Try to adjust the shift rod at the trans. Mine was doing the same and now it doesn't jump anymore. A little TLC with these things and they run forever. Oil changes and drive belts are what I do most.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Trans Jumps out of gear

I had the same problem. Big doallr repair at JD. First of all, it is a "Kanasaki" Trans made by Tuff Torq. Tuff Torq has a US dist. out of Tennessee. Check it out online. Get the JD part #s for the shift collar assembly on line at JDparts.com. Contact Tuff Torq and speak to sales. They offer an upgrade 16 tooth gear kit vs. JD old style 8 tooth. Also order the seals for the main shaft (clutch). It will cost you about $190.00 and two hours to repair. Kit is made by yanmar an you will get it in a couple of days. Remove wheels, hubs, unbolt trans from gator and pull out from the top. Easiest to remove the bed. Remove clutch. Split the trans in half, I think 19 bolts?? it will come apart easy. You'll see a chain and some spockets. Keep the JD schematic handy. This is much easier than it sounds. Swap out the two drive gears, shift collar and seal. Seal the case and bolt it back together. The other cost is the trans fluid, my dealer only had it in gallons and you will need a little over 5 quarts. Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
jumps out of forward, no reverse

I have the same issue but somewhat different:

In forward it jumps out of gear unless you hold the shift handle down, if you do that it runs fine.

BUT in reverse, well there is no reverse, no grinding no nothing. I have adjusted shift linkage many times but still no reverse.

The JD place said it needs new tranny and that would cost $3,000
The 2001 gator 4x2 probably isn't worth $3k

Anyone here got any idea? maybe something that will be more affordable?

thanks
W

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jumps out of Gear

Sounds to me a reverse gear in your shift collar set up. Check out my post. Your forward gear is worn, hence the gator jumping out of gear and your adjustment threw you out of reach for reverse or reverse is worn out too. Either way, Tuf Torq has the parts or the kit is available at JD or EBay. Not a tough fix if you are a little handy. Transmission needs to com out and split the case on the shifter side. Nothing falls out, you will see your drive chain, linkage and gears.

·
Registered
904 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trans Jumps out of gear

I had the same problem. Big doallr repair at JD. First of all, it is a "Kanasaki" Trans made by Tuff Torq. Tuff Torq has a US dist. out of Tennessee. Check it out online. Get the JD part #s for the shift collar assembly on line at JDparts.com. Contact Tuff Torq and speak to sales. They offer an upgrade 16 tooth gear kit vs. JD old style 8 tooth. Also order the seals for the main shaft (clutch). It will cost you about $190.00 and two hours to repair. Kit is made by yanmar an you will get it in a couple of days. Remove wheels, hubs, unbolt trans from gator and pull out from the top. Easiest to remove the bed. Remove clutch. Split the trans in half, I think 19 bolts?? it will come apart easy. You'll see a chain and some spockets. Keep the JD schematic handy. This is much easier than it sounds. Swap out the two drive gears, shift collar and seal. Seal the case and bolt it back together. The other cost is the trans fluid, my dealer only had it in gallons and you will need a little over 5 quarts. Good luck
I have the same issue and this is the best info I've found. Can you share the JD schematic handy you used?

·
Super Moderator
3,046 Posts
I have the same issue and this is the best info I've found. Can you share the JD schematic handy you used?
Check online at jdparts.com enter the model number or type.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts