John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after just having my 2014 550 for a month I decided to upgrade to a 2015 825i. What helped me decide was driving the 825i which I need to thank Aubv for taking the time out for explaining the different features and letting me drive his own personal machine.The 825i is a superior machine in my opinion but of course comes with that added expense. I looked for about 3-4 weeks on MachineFinder and there were plenty there but a lot were beat up with many miles and hours on them and some were real far away. I was a little picky as I wanted the deluxe glass package and either olive green or camo. So that did limit me down a bit. I was very fortunate to find this one on eBay and got it at a great price with all the bells and whistles with only 9 hours on it.The guy who owned it had it for a year and decided he had no more use for it.
The first picture was taken in WI where I bought it and the others are in PA ready to do some work.Aubv thanks again.......

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
Very nice

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very nice Gator! I remembering seeing that on eBay, it was a very nice machine. I'm in the same boat as you right now, searching like a mad man for a very nice, almost new, low hour 825i. Enjoy!

Rick

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice Gator! I remembering seeing that on eBay, it was a very nice machine. I'm in the same boat as you right now, searching like a mad man for a very nice, almost new, low hour 825i. Enjoy!

Rick
Rick,
Sent you a PM

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yea, there is a huge difference between the 550 and 825i. Other than the Gator name they are two totally different machines and if you need to carry more and can tolerate the larger footprint the 825i is hard to beat. And that glass enclosure is going to be worth its weight come winter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice looking machine !

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dane,
I agree 100% .....Totally different machines and the larger footprint is not that much bigger. I assume when you say the larger footprint you mean the size of the gator?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yes, I mean the overall length and width. I have some trails that the 550 barely fits so the 825i was not even an option for me but I'm always jealous when I visit my neighbor that has one. His 825 sounds so much more like a proper machine while mine sounds like a lawnmower.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I mean the overall length and width. I have some trails that the 550 barely fits so the 825i was not even an option for me but I'm always jealous when I visit my neighbor that has one. His 825 sounds so much more like a proper machine while mine sounds like a lawnmower.
Yes the sound and the shifting is what really made me change.The 825i is a superior machine but again comes with cost.That old saying in life,"you get what you pay for".....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am looking at similar machine, 825i with deluxe glass cab, can't decide whether the power steering is totally worth it. I will be using for yard work, some light trail riding, nothing to crazy. Anybody have experience with and without power steering?

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
I am looking at similar machine, 825i with deluxe glass cab, can't decide whether the power steering is totally worth it. I will be using for yard work, some light trail riding, nothing to crazy. Anybody have experience with and without power steering?

Yes I do have experience- with low speed operation, such as with yard work you will definitely want power steering. I have the glass cab and really enjoy it, I'm not sure if I could go back to a machine without.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After driving my 550 for a month and now going to the 825i I would not go back to having a machine without power steering.rbanks2016, I am using my machine exactly how you are going to use yours. Light yard work and light trail riding.It is really nice having the power steering with the larger machine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I purchased an 825i without the power steering option. I use it primarily around the yard, to move firewood, and to gain access to hunting 1600 acres. So long as I use appropriate front tire pressure, I find steering to be acceptable. Like anything, easier would be nicer, but I personally find that to be one more thing that could go wrong. I thought I might consider the upgrade when I purchased, but now I no longer feel that way. As with all comments, this is just my point of view....

Good luck! Fantastic machine!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I test drove 825i with power steering and 625i without power steering and the only thing I noticed a little more difficult was backing up the 625i, wasn't really that difficult though. I also heard the power steering doesn't work well when it gets wet...

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Terrahawk AT's would be the best tire for not tearing up the yard, IMO. As far as power steering, it's not a deal breaker to me or a must have. Though, don't get me wrong it is very nice and I would probably prefer to have it, that's one of the reasons I chose to upgrade. That said, if you decide not to buy it from the factory you can get kits aftermarket that run about half as much as the factory setup. I believe the factory setup is $1100 extra, but it does have some nice features, such as getting stiffer the faster you go. Not sure if the aftermarket ones work like that or not.

Rick

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree with wh401. The Terrahawks AT's work best on the grass. I am in PA and we have had a lot of rain lately.You need to be careful running around the yard with either tire when it is this wet. I notice the 550 was a lighter gator and will not tear up the lawn as much as the 825i in these conditions.Also having the power steering you have a tendency to turn sharper as it is so easy to turn. You just need to use common sense when the conditions are wet.rbanks2016,if you are looking for a used machine on a 825i there are a lot out there,just look on machinefinder and my suggestion is finding one that someone already bought it with power steering or had it installed .

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the Bighorn tires, and would have preferred the Terrahawks for what I use my 825 for. I am not into the racing around on mud trails and mountain sides. My motivation was more for work and hauling. But, it was a demo that had been loaned to a school for the summer track team folks to ride around on, had less than 40 hrs on it, and was a great buy. Came with Power Steering, power lift. Wasn't sure I needed either, but now have grown fond of having them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts