John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I figure out what main jet I need for my carburetor? The previous owner attempted to remove the main jet to clean it, and as per usual DIY'ers, used the wrong screwdriver and not enough knowledge of the task at hand. It is stripped and the slot is destroyed. Anyway, I can extract it on my bench no problem, but it will not be usable when done. For whatever reason, Kawasaki does not do like Briggs & Stratton and give any indication in the service manual for jets. I have four possible options on this one, and I don't know how to tell which I need.

How do you tell?

·
Super Moderator
3,233 Posts
The choices of the Pilot air and Main Jets are likely based on the elevation where you will be operating the Gator.

Is there a stamp on the jet with the size ?
Any chance you could use a wire gauge to determine the size?
Does jdparts.com offer information on replacement jets ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have a bog at mid to high speed. I think I figured it out. The service manual indicates adjusting the pilot screw but this one is not adjustable. Lol. Man, their service manuals are CRAZY GENERIC. anyway, the fix seems to be to adjust the choke cable to where “off” is about 1/4 closed. Runs like a scalded ape. Never seen that before but whatever. It runs. Lol. Kawasaki motors. Weird.

This is NOT the way a typical carburetor would be adjusted, but without a service manual that is better written than the one from kawasaki, a knowledge of jets from a good manual, or knowledge of what the previous owner did to jack up the slot in the main jet, this is the best adjustment that can be made. After all, its all about fuel/air mixtures, so the choke is a way to get there I guess. :/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts