John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on why I keep fouling the plugs on my 2012 Gator 625i? I have replaced them 3 times in the last 3 weeks. It runs great for a while then starts blowing smoke and missing. It has 280hrs and was running great. I ran some Seafoam through it because it was running a little rough and that seems to have made it worse. Not a mechanic, but really don't want to take it in, if I don't have to.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Are both plugs fowling or just one?

With the engine idling remove the engine oil dipstick. If it's it's really blowing smoke (a little is normal but "blowing" is not) a blown head gasket is a possibility. This can also be confirmed with a blowdown test.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When it idles it doesn't blow much smoke, just a little.

·
Registered
165 Posts
there could be several causes, one which dane pointed out, oil blow-buy due to worn rings/pistons or a poor air/fuel mixture could be others. Look for clues, is your oil low? do you add oil often? has it been sitting over the winter with gas in it that might have gone bad? checked the air/fuel filters?

·
Registered
242 Posts
So these 625,s do they have a motorcycle motor in them?..His motor problem kinda sounds like Piston Rings or Possibly a PVC issue..Like the other guys said start the rig up and take the oil fill cap off,,if it looks to be like a Choo-Choo train puffing smoke that's a ring issue,,,if it smokes only when you first start it up and the smokes clears out...then its a Valve guide issue

·
Registered
813 Posts
The 625 has a fuel injected, liquid cooled two cylinder Kawasaki four stroke that is more a general purpose or lawn mower style engine. Not a motorcycle engine.

Do you spend a lot of time with the engine idling? Do you make a lot of short start and stop trips. The Kawasaki is a good engine but like most engines it needs to be run harder every so often to get it up to full temperature. Running it hard will help cook off contaminates from the oil and burn off carbon from the pistons, valves cylinder heads and spark plugs.

Are your spark plugs the original ones? Are they the correct type (not just fit but is the number on the side of the plug correct)? Spark plugs come in different temperatures. Too cool a plug may not get hot enough to clean itself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally took it in to the local John Deere dealer for repair. It turned out to be the throttle body was bad and fuel was getting into the oil. After $1,500 it sounds like it is brand new.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wow I guess they're not cheap to work on. I guess they do have to remove most all the body parts to get to anything. I'm glad you're up and running sorry it cost so much.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yes, general Aviation is dying. Small A&P shops are struggling. My experienced aircraft mechanic is WAY cheaper than any tractor or car dealer in town.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I found out yesterday that my head gasket is fine. It maybe backfiring because of carbon or varish buildup. I thought that "SeaFoam" would keep that from happing but I guess not. He said use Premium Gas with 2oz of "Mechanic In A Bottle" per 5 gallons on each fill up. He said it was one of the best products on the market. I could only find 1 bad review and his problem sounded more serious than varish or carbon build up. I don't know what I'm going to do with the bottles of SeaFoam I've got. I guess I'll give it to my neigbor for his boat. He loves the stuff. I think I'd of been all right if I remembered to use it more often. I get the Gator back today with a new bed and the linkage adjusted again. Just in time for the grandkids visit :eek:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts