John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new RSX850i about 4 or 5 weeks ago. Since then I've ridden it about 7 or 8 times and it just recently started leaking transmission fluid from the vent line underneath the gas cap. I've filled it once already and it stopped for a short time and started again. The mechanics at Deere aren't really experienced with working on the RSX and I don't want to have to put it in the shop for what could be the rest of the riding season while they tinker with the problem, the warranty is still good so I'm not too worried, I was just curious to see if any of you might have some recommended fixes. It seems to me like pressure is building up in the transmission somehow, thus the need for a vent hose in the first place, but I'm not sure how its happening or why. The transmission bolts were loose buy i tightened them and its still blowing fliid. Any input is appreciated. If I can't get it to stop I'm gonna take it to Deere sometime next week. It runs fine aside from that one issue. I hope it's nothing serious, I'd hate to have to get a new transmission for a gator I've only made one payment on. You pay 14 thousand for something you expect the bugs to be worked put for the most part.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mine just started doing this also. Only if I drive 55 for 2 or more straight. Then its like a sprinkler. Below 45 or short trips to 55 just fine. Did you ever find a cure?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would make sure there is/ or there might be another vent somewhere to these trans/diffs....Generally it will build Pressure if it has no way to Vent

·
Registered
140 Posts
I took my box and side panel off. Unhooked the vents from each other then drove down the raid and watched each one. Its coming out of my tranny vent line

·
Registered
140 Posts
Theres the single vent line coming off fuel tank. Then one off trans and one off rear end. They t together. So just 2 on back half. One on front for front diff

·
Registered
242 Posts
Under the front along the hood.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Update to oil coming out the breather. I changed the rear end and trans fluid. Then went out and drove it. It is still coming out. Only took couple miles. After about 6 miles at 45 to 50 i checked the shaft temp with snap on temp gun. The trans temp was 185. The rear diff housing was 200 degrees on all sides. The output shafts were 215. These numbers seem ridiculously high to me. I remind you that thus is the out side of the housings. I'd hate to guess how hot it is on the inside.

To compare I measured the front diff and out put shafts. 85 to 90 degrees everywhere. I realize the fronts not under load but its always turning and the driveshaft going to the front is always turning because it is being driven by the front wheels.

I'm thinking these numbers should be closer to each other. And that my rear end was shimmed wrong from factory causing high heat which heats up trans and trans oil to push oil out my breather

·
Registered
140 Posts
Anybody else got any theorys? I'm going to have to take it in if I'm right because warranty will have to pay out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Working with dtac right now on it. Hopefully something soon. I got impatient and drained my diff's and tranny again. Ran magnet through every time. Only found some fines in the rear. There are no chunks or anything just really really small fines. I don't know if this is enough to cause the heat I experienced. I'll reply in the case tomorrow then we get to play the waiting game again. Lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
trans spitting fluid

I have been having the same problems with my rsx. i drive it over 11 miles and it starts spitting out trans fluid from vent line up in roll cage above the gas cap. i have talked to several people at different dealerships to get some input and nothing. i have had it for over two years and it just started doing this. it has less then 900 miles on. i have flushed fluids, put a new belt on it and didnt do any good. im stuck, the vents are working just fine cuase its coming out of them.it runs great other then that, i no longer use it for long trips. so i havent been doing any family riding which was almost the sole purpose of purchasing this machine. i am stuck, if anybody out there has a solution to this problem other rhen trading in im all ears.

·
Registered
288 Posts
well mine only did it once when i was trying to see how many miles i could get out of a tank i was just pave road driving and hit 50 miles on the trip and was only riding about 45 to 50 mph and that was last time i had it spit out on me

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thats what we mainly did was alot of road riding with it. on weekends a bunch of us would get together and make round trips of 50 miles or so and sometimes longer. we never had any kind of issues until this year. it wasnt even being ridden hard. steady 45 mph for a total round trip of 14 miles, but past the 10-11 mile mark was when it started. wasnt sure at first what it was. had to drive and get it to do it again and then started taking off side cover- skid plate and bed and drove again to narrow it all down.i even put a new designed belt on that jodn deere never even notified me about until i went to them to purchase a new one. it is a little bit smaller, so they had to have some issues there. they should have a recall on this thing. it seems that there is a few of them doing this now and no one really has a answer of why its happening. its frustrating. i really dont want to buy a polaris i rally like this thing. i need it to be dependable at the same time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yeah, i just dont see how i could have had it for two years doing the same kind of riding and all of a sudden it starts this.i have been keeping an eye on it, its just hard for me to let it get out of the safe range on dip stick and feel comfortable riding it. it wouldnt take long to fry the trans running it low. this just sucks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Deere had no answer for me besides raise the breather to top of cage. Mine was already there. You change oil recently just to eliminate water being problem? This and the fact that the charging system can't even keep up with its self without any after market accessories are my 2 naging problems

·
Registered
288 Posts
Deere had no answer for me besides raise the breather to top of cage. Mine was already there. You change oil recently just to eliminate water being problem? This and the fact that the charging system can't even keep up with its self without any after market accessories are my 2 naging problems
what aftermarket accessiores did u have to add

1 - 20 of 23 Posts