John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning All, I was told by the previous owner it was permissible to leave the Gator 6x4 in gear at idle as it would not move. I then read never do that because it wears the drive belt prematurely. I ordered an owners manual but it is not in yet. What is the truth here?

Also please, do I have to visit a JD dealer to have an extra key cut?

Thank you so very much. Lynsey

·
Super Moderator
2,659 Posts
What you have read is correct, it is not a good idea to leave the Gator in gear while stopped.

It is probably a good idea to clean both clutch’s and replace the belt, now that you know what the previous operator has done in the past.

Go to Green Farm Parts or Green Part Store if you should need Parts, these online companies generally can save you some money.

I would think, you should be able to have a key cut anywhere?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Keys: My experience, the keys are not unique and can be considered universal. I bought extra keys from JD and they did not have to be cut for my Gator. They would work with any 855D or Gator that uses a similar key format.

For belt longevity it is best to leave the gator in neutral. It's not necessary, but it can increase belt life to some degree.

FYI... Owners manual can typically be found on JD's website.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Keys for that vintage (and maybe later as well) are one-size-fits-all. I got copies for a few bucks on eBay. They fit my old 4X2, 6X4, and 445.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your responses! It arrived today. I am shocked to see what new tail lights cost. Seems like a good idea to just get the plastic pieces because the rest is fairly intact. Or maybe I will forget the idea...they probably will just get whacked by something anyway. Welcome to JD world I gue$$! Off to Ebay for keys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts