John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you who spent the $300 for John Deere LED headlights you may want to not read this thread. So I was looking at my X739 tractor and I thought those headlights look like the ones in the gator. Ordered JDM LED bulbs from Amazon for $25 bucks. They fit like they were made for it! Plug and play my JD friends. No more crappy halogen lights that won't even make a shadow. Photo shows old halogen bulb and the new LED from JDM "Amazon". Going to attach a photo tonight. I will photograph the gator with one halogen and new LED from JDM, then I will get rid of my crappy old halogen bulbs.

·
Super Moderator
2,974 Posts
Nice ! did you compare the amperage draw between the two lights ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
For the price these Gators are, in my opinion the Headlights should be superb. In stock form they are subpar, they hardly light up anything. I also upgraded to just led bulbs, but here in the mountains they are still a bit dim. I think its more the housing they went with than the actual bulbs. Planning to add led lights to either the front bumper or rollbar.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For those of you who spent the $300 for John Deere LED headlights you may want to not read this thread. So I was looking at my X739 tractor and I thought those headlights look like the ones in the gator. Ordered JDM LED bulbs from Amazon for $25 bucks. They fit like they were made for it! Plug and play my JD friends. No more crappy halogen lights that won't even make a shadow. Photo shows old halogen bulb and the new LED from JDM "Amazon". Going to attach a photo tonight. I will photograph the gator with one halogen and new LED from JDM, then I will get rid of my crappy old halogen bulbs.

View attachment 13576
That seems great. While looking in amazon, i get tons of results. Can you point me to the right item exact model or a direct link)?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks
2psulions

On the head ups on the LED headlight. Just got them in today plug an play as you said 25 buck. Will try them tonight

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
It would be nice if someone posted pictures comparing the actual light between the two types of bulbs from the drivers perspective.

While it's nice just replace the bulbs, I wonder how much light they actually put out compared to the cheapest 36 watt or smaller led modules. Example: LED Lamp

Good luck and hope they exceed expectations.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The LED are a bright white and that makes them brighter then the yellow halogen. I can see the difference a cleaner light. But you will still out drive them. But they are better lights for only 25 bucks. They match the John Deere light I have now. One set is flood that are on the cab the driving light are on the brush guard. that seems to be a good combination for me

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Krmo, Are the cab and brush guard lights from JD and also LED's? Uniformity in bulb temperature does make for a more pleasing look.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yes and yes they installed them labor free when I purchased the gator. Also on the back of the cab as well. Floods on the back. If I knew how to upload pictures I would post some pictures

·
Registered
261 Posts
There's a difference between perceived brightness and actual illumination. These LEDs are essentially fog light range brightness of 600 lumens. You can tell because they don't have any external cooling. They typically run around 10 watts power. Stock 881 halogens run around 800 lumens at 50 watts, but the light has a yellow component to it. If you really want to do headlights, you'll need the much more powerful ones that require external cooling. That said, never get the ones cooled by fan as the normal dirt coming up around the bulb enclosure will kill it in short order. That leaves the heat sink types that are either flat braided wire loops or solid finned. There are fairly compact 4000 lumen units at superbrightleds.com at $40 a pair. I went with a braided sink LED 4 years ago for my 855D. Quality has been shaky with flickering starting after a year or two. The products sold now are much more compact and reliable. My 865R has their stock hi/low LED headlamps which I am pleased with, but I haven't cared to dig into the enclosure to see what they are using. The aftermarket 6000 lumen products out there would be brighter but I just haven't needed them. I am using the JD driving and rear work lights. They give me all the boost I need on the spread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts