John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 1993 FD620D117993 john deere 6x4 gator. The lift bed suddenly quit working. What happened was the battery was dead, i tried to charge it up, it wouldnt take much of a charge, so i did get enough of a charge to raise up the lift bed, so it was working fine. Went and purchased a new battery, put the battery in and now the lift gate wont do anything, so is this coincidence, or did i knock something loose when i changed the battery? I dont have a schematic but sure could use some help finding one. This is all new to me for my husband used to do all this. Any help would be appreciate.

·
Super Moderator
3,187 Posts
Can you look for loose or corrosion on all wiring connections and blown fuses ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am new at this and i am not sure where the fuses are. Thats why i thought maybe a schematic would help? And i cant figure out how to lift the bed manually.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well being the complete newbie female, this was all of my doing. When i swapped out the battery, there were two extra wires one positive one negative to make the bed raise up and down. When i put the new battery in i hooked up the positive, but didnt see the negative wire because it had fallen down, so when i went back to take a 4th look, i reattached that and now it works. Yay me for figuring it out. Sorry to bother you all. But i still would like to find a manual or drawings for this old gator.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi ! The serial number you provided looked like the engine model serial number combined. I have from what the JD dealer tells me is a 1994 6X4 gas Gator . If look at the Gator from behind, down on right side near the bottom should be the vin/serial # sticker. Mine serial# is W006X4X009266. My Gator and more than likely yours too is the first issue of the Gators produced by JD. They made the same unit from 1993 to 1995. I was told the last 6 digits will reveal the age according to range of numbers. If your is a 1993 the serial number would probably range from W006X4X000091 to maybe 008000 maybe? Someone on here has a vin chart but according to my local Ag dealer mine is a 1994 due to S/N and in service date. My dealer is owned by the chain AGPRO. They put my numbers in and told me year model, that it was a dealer in Newnan,Ga in Sept 2005 and had a new engine installed ! I wondered as on the engine cover on the passenger side is the model and S/N’s. Original engine model# in mine was an FD620D-AS11. Note the AS11. Then engine that is in mine now is an FD620D-JS11. That is 9 years newer than the original model it came with. So it was installed Sept 2005 and I found it in a barn in March 2019 in that area for sale! After it came out of the shop, the older gentleman that owned it died 6 months later. His adult kids wouldn’t use it or let their kids use it either. So it sat for 14 years outside, on the side of the barn under a shed roof slowly wilting. Short story is. I got it for $750.00 ! Hauled it back home. Drained the old gas, put in a hot battery and it fired right up !! Of course I have been through the entire unit. Was offered $7500 for it a few weeks ago.. not for sale as they are getting rate. So get your credit card or check book warmed up because John Deere is VERY PROUD of the few new parts that are still out there. Always use genuine JD parts if possible as it not only increases its value but it’s longetivity too. If you have any wuestions. Places to source hard to find parts from, let me know. I went through the whole Gator except the engine. I did by a new carb , fuel pump, etc but nothing internal. They are a work horse but also a nice cocktail 🍸 cruiser ! Enjoy ! God Bless America !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello the serial number sticker is no longer on the gator, so i could not find it.i thank you for all the great information.i bought it used from a ski lodge for 600.00 years ago. I want to keep it running for as long as i can but i am just learning how to do some basic things to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts