John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased the SuperATV lift for my RSX (Fox 2.0 shocks) and installed it over the holidays. An interesting note:, the Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires actually only measure 25.1” vs the advertised 26” with 14 psi. Thought I would share some of my findings:
· When I first purchased my RSX last summer, I measured the clearance frt and back. It had about 9.75” on both frt and rear.
· A few months later with some miles on it, the springs had sagged somewhat, so I cranked up the stops on the springs, and got it back to about 9.75-10” of clearance. This involved turning the spring stops all the way to the thin stopwashers.
· Prior to installing the lift kit, I measured frt and rear clearance, and got 9.5” on the frt and 10” on the back

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The lift kit had great instructions, except for one area that I will get into later. The front suspension was very easy to install and only took about 30 minutes. The advantage of this method for the front, is that it does not disturb your spring setting. Although, time will tell how it does on the CV joints and boots.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear suspension lift is basically some spacer pucks that go under the spring and extends the rod travel of the shock. The bad part about this is that the piston on the end of the shock rod, under normal circumstances sits midway between the head-end and gland-end of the shock body. Thus giving it distance to travel in both directions (up & down). By placing the spacer between the spring and the spring stop, it now extend the piston and rod to the gland-end of the shock. Yes, this does give you some lift, but two bad things happen:
1. Your spring rate has increased, because you have essentially compressed the spring more, and it will give you a harsher ride
2. The piston inside the shock body, is now ‘pressured’ against the gland-end of the shock and may prematurely wear the shock out.
The one thing the instructions don’t tell you is how to compress the spring once you have the spacer installed. I am assuming the reason they don’t tell you is for liability, as this procedure could be a little dangerous! I compressed mine with some MacPherson strut retainers

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The instructions explained to leave about 2” of distance between the spring-stops and the head-end of the shock body. So now, everything was installed, I took it for a ride and it was an extremely stiff ride.
I changed my distances from 2” to 1.5” on the rear and 1.25” on the frt. This seems to help, as the ride got better.
I measured the clearance again, and got 12.25” on the front and 11.5” on the back. I am fairly happy with the results. I hope it does not cause any pre-mature wear on any other suspension components. New tires are ordered, and that should give me another 1.5” of clearance

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
I did the same thing and with the same exact lift kit and got the same results. After a few ruff rides I removed the spacers and stop washers from the rear shocks and just adjusted my rear springs to level out the bike now it rides close to factory settings other than the rough 30" silverback tires.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Thanks for the info!!!! I got one on the way and some 34s for the rzr!!!! I think I will leave the spacers off. That is the way it was originally.

SuperATV......why was it changed?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts