John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here, but over the last 6 months I have been doing a lot of research and talking to people experienced with larger lifts on bikes. I understand everyone has their own experiences and opinions of shops but from everything I have found the most highly recommended shop in the industry(based on my recollection of conversations and from others experiences) is S3 in Shreveport LA. I myself have not had a SxS until the RSX I got last December. I haven't done any modifications to it until I felt I got a good amount of break in hours on it. Currently at 35 hours. My wife likes going to the parks around East Texas and riding, I myself would rather just ride around the deer lease. But after my experiences at the parks around here I figured out I am no where near tall enough to ride 60% of the trails with out sinking or severily damaging my machine. All that being said I would like to put a 4-6" lift to be able to clear 32-34" tires. And to give me the ground clearance to not high center in every other hole I come across. I'm not looking to play hippo I'd just rather not drown if it can be avoided. All that being said, I have been talking to S3 about making larger A arm lifts for the RSX but their reply was basically their isn't a demand currently for them. Which I understand but I was hoping there were some people on this forum that could give me some advice/experiences/different shop experiences/etc. so that maybe if I can get a large enough demand we can get some more lifts available for the RSXs out there. Sorry for the 2 chapters of a book. Look forward to replays and comments.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I doubt the Gator market will ever demand large lift kits. Heck, we can't even get aftermarket axles for the RSX.

The only thing I can think of is to get someone to build you a set of control arms and extended axles that are 4-5" wider (longer) per side to allow for the height. There isn't much wiggle room with the factory axles as far as added height goes. So going wide will be one of the few ways to allow you to go up.

I'm not sure how others have been done before, but that is how it is done in my brain. Make the axle/a-arms longer and it will lift you higher at the same angle as factory or 2" lifted.

Also, short of custom length axles, cutting and sleeving the factory axles with a LOT of plug welds would be the place I would start. Making control arms wouldn't be too terrible either. Find some bushings with the same bolt diameter and bracket width to go on the frame and drill the balljoint taper out of the knuckle and use heim joints or uniball type ends.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
solid metal worx in LA was the only shop that had anything for a gator $2500 there are a few members on here that have had their lifts installed. if ur gonna go that high up id say get it built so that u have a +4 lift and +2 offset with no spacers that will help a lil if u want great stability then go +3 offset to get a really good wide stance. i have been talking with a few people about a 3in arched a-arm kit but it isnt going anywhere as the price is WAY out of my budget right now. but id say +4 with arched a-arms and a +2 offset to get it nice and wide and u will be set

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I have looked at Solid Metal WRX and seen that they have done a few and so has Xtreme Powersports. Both shops are in Longview TX. Both did custom lifts bigger than 6" but I haven't ever found, seen or talked to anyone that has lifted their RSX that high. I understand the significance of going out while going up to maintain the lowest angle change/stress possible on you axels. The point I guess was maybe if enough people wanted a lift that big I was hoping to help make one available. Still gunna cost you $1500+ but it doesn't have to be made from scratch. Also Silver I believe Turner makes axles for them now.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Is turner making stock AND/OR custom axles for the gator now?

Wonder what their price is? They build some of the best axles.

I'm also interested in a 3-4" + 2" width as mine is primarily a deer lease buggy.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i will ask a guy at the end of this week how much one will cost. who all is interested? i know me and dieselnut. i can see if maybe we everyone wants to order them around the same time we can get a price cut im not sure but its worth a shot

Reactions: derek

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's my understanding that Turner can make axles to any length you need. The problem until recently was that they had to map the splines to match the ones JD makes. Not sure on the price but a good guess is 200$-250$ per axles. Depending on length

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
153 Posts
i will ask a guy at the end of this week how much one will cost. who all is interested? i know me and dieselnut. i can see if maybe we everyone wants to order them around the same time we can get a price cut im not sure but its worth a shot
Interested.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have mine for almost a year now with a 10 lift on it an tuner axles I love it just wish the aftermarket world would get in with some parts

Reactions: derek

·
Registered
76 Posts
Solid Metal wrks call Josh he does lift an the axles come from tuner you will pay for it but you will be happy with it the bike will have the same stance as a canam maverick an it is bad a$$

·
Registered
371 Posts
There were a couple of guys that said they got a 3" bracket lift from solid metal wrx. Wonder how they turned out and if they had to modify anything?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Im not sure chief. alot of the guys on the thread have gone on to different projects and dont get on here much anymore. not many people wanna spend over 1500 for a good lift. but that is where we are at. i have the 2.0 shocks maxed out and a 2in lift with 30 mudlites and love it. almost can clear a bucket and hardly any scrubbing unless im hauling ass down the trail.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yeah I hear you I would spend it but would the lady that I have to explain it to buy the reason I doubt. Sounds like alot of guys are happy with the ride after doing the super atv lift. Will probably go that route.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i love it. the only thing is the spacers on the back kinda suck so id say look at the brackets that joshc made and talk to him about his. they look to be easier to install

1 - 20 of 42 Posts