John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running into an issue with my 2016 RSX 860i. So I have had some work done to it the past couple weeks. Main thing is a light bar. I went to pick it up and it would run for 5-10 minutes with the battery light on the lose power completely. So they told me it was the voltage regulator. Replaced it went riding today didn’t even make it out the parking lot and battery light comes on and died while running. They wired the light bar to my ignition so I’m wondering is it over loading it and burning my voltage regulator and fuse! Should I wire it straight to the battery with a close circuit switch and a inline fuse? Any comments or help is appreciated! I love this thing and have never had issues until I got this light bar installed.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Light bar is very generic, perhaps you can post the electrical requirements of the one you bought. It's important the light bar is sized so it doesn't overload the electrical charging system.

The light bar will pull the same level of current regardless of where it is wired to.

What does wired to ignition mean?.. It's not uncommon to wire accessories to key-on circuit so they shut off when the key is turned off. Is this what you mean?

Sounds like you should take your RSX to someone you trust and knows how to work on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that is what I meant sorry for the confusion. The light bar is white and amber and has a bunch of different flash patterns so is it possible it’s overloading the system? Do you think a solid white one would be okay or would it still be too big?

·
Super Moderator
2,978 Posts
Did your JD dealership install the light bar?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am just having a very hard time understanding how it was running fine when I picked it up then I let it run in the parking lot at the atv park and my battery light came on then it just off now it cuts back off as soon as you jump it off and it’s a brand new battery

·
Super Moderator
2,978 Posts
Are you aware this model and others in the RSX lineup have what is called a ”load shed” feature ?

This feature shuts down certain high voltage elective circuits if the battery voltage drops below 12.4 while running, the circuits will resume normal operation once the voltage is above 13 volts for 30 seconds.

When adding electrical accessories to the RSX it is extremely important to find components that draw the absolute least amount of amperage. Unfortunately not all lights draw the same amperage.

·
Super Moderator
2,978 Posts
PM sent

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you aware this model and others in the RSX lineup have what is called a ”load shed” feature ?

This feature shuts down certain high voltage elective circuits if the battery voltage drops below 12.4 while running the circuits will resume normal operation once the voltage is above 13 volts for 30 seconds.

When adding electrical accessories to the RSX it is extremely important to find components that draw the absolute least amount of amperage. Unfortunately not all lights draw the same amperage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not realize that at all. I have a sound bar and never had any problems but ever since I had the light bar it’s been messing up. Very frustrated!

·
Registered
281 Posts
The only issue I’ve ever had was with running a air compressor off outlet plug. It blew a fuse after a short period of time. The compressor now has alligator clips for emergency situations

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are you aware this model and others in the RSX lineup have what is called a ”load shed” feature ?...This feature shuts down certain high voltage elective circuits if the battery voltage drops below 12.4 while running, the circuits will resume normal operation once the voltage is above 13 volts for 30 seconds.....When adding electrical accessories to the RSX it is extremely important to find components that draw the absolute least amount of amperage. Unfortunately not all lights draw the same amperage.
I have some regulator issues on the Gator 620i and had chased ghost in the wiring. One thing to consider is adding a larger battery to the rig. On the 620, i shoe horned the largest amp rating battery in to the battery mounting area. Even consider adding new bracket for moving the battery to find a larger space. The load-shed would have great on my old unit.

The regulator (simple explanation) could have 3 wires on it. One from the charger on the motor (RED: Stator,), one to ground (Black) and one to detect the voltage while running (running from the back of the switch to many location on the buggy (Yellow), When the regulator determines the voltage is below 12xxx (say 11.8 volts), it should route the charging amps from the stator to charge the battery. If broken, it will never charge.

A quick check is to measure the voltage on the battery terminals and is should be around 13.4 when thew regulator is charging. Also, charge the battery, check value (12.6 v). Crank the buggy and run it for a few (2-3) minutes and if the voltage goes below 12.0, then more than likely the regulator is not working.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really appreciate that. I am so frustrated I spend this money on a light bar and now it screws up everything and fries my regulator so idk if it’s the gator not having a big enough charging system or he wired it wrong?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
It would have helped from the beginning if you would have posted the electrical specs and perhaps a link to the light bar used in this application from the beginning. Who selected the light bar? What other accessories do you have? How much power is your sound system consuming?

Any time accessories are added it is important to ensure the electrical system output is not overtaxed by the accessories and to make certain there is some headroom available.

Generally it would be pretty hard to wire it up wrong, but there is the load shed feature Bradhill mentioned. It seems one would have to consider the implications of this circuitry when wiring accessories. Did you consider the implication of this feature or provide a wiring diagram for the installers to use?

What do you plan on doing going forward?

Reactions: Bradhill
1 - 14 of 14 Posts