John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one here mounted a set of Light Truck rims/Tires on their HPX?

I was looking at installing someting along the lines of a 14x7 and some 27x8.5x14 Buckshot II on my HPX, but was checking to see if someone else had already done a similar upgrade?

My cart sees a lot of asphalt so the longevity of a LT tire would help greatly.

·
Super Moderator
3,028 Posts
Matching your lug bolt pattern may limit your LT rim selection, better option would be looking at trailer rims in the correct bolt pattern, center opening etc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5 on 4.5 gives me a decent amount of options.

The best and lightest weight I’ve found so far is a Bassett D series rim for race cars. If memory serves me correct the 14x7 only weighs 17lbs. They are roughly 68 bucks a piece.

I just need my HPX for verify the front and rear rim backspacing but I won’t be near it until Christmas.

I was hoping others have done the same on their HPX.

14x6 trailer rims are my second option and the cheapest but backspacing could be an issue.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Backspacing and the related offset won't be a problem. JD ATV/UTV rims have more backspacing towards to suspension (positive offset). Offset either way puts additional torque on the hub face. That's why most cars, trailers, etc. have zero offset. Putting trailer rims on actually removes a torque element. I've been using zero offset rims on my 855D and 865R with no issues. One thing I did find is the front end alignment of Gators can be off from the factory. Les Schwab had no problem dialing it in properly. You can take a look at my "street tires" post for more details. Make sure you get suitable lug bolts if you go with aluminum rims as JD bolts will chew them up.

·
Super Moderator
3,028 Posts
Not what I envisioned when you mentioned Truck Tires and Wheels.

I don’t believe the wheels below are “Street Legal” if that matters to you?

The best and lightest weight I’ve found so far is a Bassett D series rim for race cars. If memory serves me correct the 14x7 only weighs 17lbs. They are roughly 68 bucks a piece.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Not what I envisioned when you mentioned Truck Tires and Wheels.

I don’t believe the wheels below are “Street Legal” if that matters to you?

The best and lightest weight I’ve found so far is a Bassett D series rim for race cars. If memory serves me correct the 14x7 only weighs 17lbs. They are roughly 68 bucks a piece.....
You envisioned 20" chrome rims? lol

Doesn't matter to me. I was looking for a light weight wheel. Those HPX's don't have the powerband like most UTVs. With that tire and wheel combination I will be around 45lbs per tire/wheel if the weight numbers posted are correct.

Ive seen posted weights of 55lbs to 27.8lbs per tire

1 - 6 of 6 Posts