John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently purchased the 850i for our business. We put camoplast tracks on it and have been using it to get to remote locations with quite a bit of snow. We are discovering that the dealer in our area has little knowledge of the new machine (very apparent when they didn't know what oil to put in our unit for the first oil change). We are having an intermittent problem with power that we believe may have something to do with the limiter on the unit. About 20-30 minutes into a run it acts as if it isn't getting enough fuel if we go over 5k rpm. It doesn't make a difference if it is under a load or if it is traveling up or down a hill. As you give it gas it will be going along fine then suddenly it will cut power then it returns (this is in a loop and continues as long as we are applying pressure to the gas pedal). It is less prominent if we drop it into low. It doesn't do it at all if we put it in neutral and rev it up. This doesn't happen every time we use it and it is difficult to reproduce. I took video yesterday on the way down the hill so we could share it with the dealer but I am hoping before we take it to them someone here may have an idea of what direction to go in to troubleshoot the problem.

http://www.gatorforums.net/forum/members/1014-albums23-picture117.jpg

·
Registered
195 Posts
Welcome aboard Comtec, I had one do the same thing after running for short period of time and found the fuel supply hose was partially pinched shut, Also check to make sure the fuel tank breather hose is not pinched or plugged this will cause the same issue also. Also could be something floating in the fuel tank blocking the hole for the fuel? Just my thoughts anyway!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Hate to hear this Comtek....and welcome to the forum. Mine has not done this yet. I would have to agree with gator about the fuel.

Gator............were you in stock form when having this problem?????

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice. I will look into the fuel lines. I was at a site yesterday and it happen again. It acted so bad at one point I thought I would have problems getting out so I stopped the machine let it sit for a couple of minutes, engine running, then backed it up and turned it around and would you know it fixed it self again and did not have another problem with it the rest of the trip.

I bought a olive green sport unit. Thought the adjustable shocks would be useful with keeping ground clearance through the snow. Added a winch, roof, windshield with wiper, enclosed sides and back of the cab, enclosed the bed with a piece of plywood that I had line-x and bolted it down using the bed rails. Water tight bed with a platform to strap things down to on top. installing a under the dash defrost unit this weekend. I have been running camoplast tracks on it. So far I am very happy with it and it has gotten me to sites with 6+ feet of snow. I have lots of pictures I can share.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Post some pics up somewhere please!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes post up some pics, I'm sure everyone is tired of looking at mine.:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here you go.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
904 Posts
That thing looks good on tracks!!!!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
That thing is crazy, where do you guys work, obviously fairly high in the mountains somewhere.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hate to hear this Comtek....and welcome to the forum. Mine has not done this yet. I would have to agree with gator about the fuel.

Yes it was.I wouldn't think the speed limiter would cause this problem,But i could be wrong. :confused:

·
Registered
904 Posts

Yes it was.I wouldn't think the speed limiter would cause this problem,But i could be wrong. :confused:
Well I know on the Polaris Sportsman 850XP ATV, they have a SLD (Spike Load Dampener) in the tranny that keeps bigger tires or tracks from tearing up the tranny and I was curious if his tracks had something to do with tripping something either mechanical or electrical with his gator making it run funny cause it thought the tracks were gonna tear something up. Now after reading your comments, it sounds more like fuel then a SLD type thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We are in sw Washington and work at FM tower sites. Bought the gator for sites 2000 to about 3500 feet. Made a trip this last Monday and it did not act up. I have not checked fuel lines yet so maybe it is fuel. I would think bad fuel would cause a problem at any rpm this issue stops if I lower the rpm under 5k when it happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe i may be having the same issue but we don't think it has to deal with fuel but more with air. I put tracks on my RSX and two hours into our ride it started to almost kill if not kill on me. The only thing we could think of is tracks are throwing alot more snow and that snow is hitting the motor which is under the seats and turning to steam then hits intake and ices the filters. We put in heated shop thawed and dryed filters and ran perfect again. It had to be starving for air so we are going to rig an intake system that will get air from a little higher up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Possible solution

We have figured out what is happening but not why. the manual says that the gator is limited to 14 miles per hour in reverse. When we are having the problem our gator is being limited to 14 in forward in either high or low. it is not rmp based as we first thought. 14 mph up hill and down are at different rmp of course but we can cruise 13 mph or less all day long, as soon as it speed o says 14 the limiter kicks in. I am told that there is a reverse switch some where on the unit but the dealer can not find it any his tech info. I called JD and they said that there is a new recall that came out a week ago to replace the shifter in the unit that will start about Feb 10 but do not know if that will address this issue. Any ideas how why the gator thinks we are in Reverse all the time?:confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe i may be having the same issue but we don't think it has to deal with fuel but more with air. I put tracks on my RSX and two hours into our ride it started to almost kill if not kill on me. The only thing we could think of is tracks are throwing alot more snow and that snow is hitting the motor which is under the seats and turning to steam then hits intake and ices the filters. We put in heated shop thawed and dryed filters and ran perfect again. It had to be starving for air so we are going to rig an intake system that will get air from a little higher up.
We are not having this issue. our problem will happen when not in the snow at all. Our cab is enclosed and have not had a problem with the intake at all. See our limiter post about reverse limiter that kicks in at 14mph. our unit thinks its in reverse when we are in Low or High

·
Registered
9 Posts
reverse limiter circuit

The ECU defaults to the 14 mph reverse speed limit if it loses signal from the reverse switch (it fails "safe"). This switch is in the transmission near the base of the dip stick. There is also a neutral switch in the same area that tells the ECU if you're in neutral to allow starting without your foot on the brake.

Check out the attached clip from the Tech Manual.

Check to see if these are plugged in properly. Also, check to see if the pins in the connectors are bent over or making intermitent contact. Maybe they're getting wet and dry out when you let it run? Or maybe there's a lose or pinched wire in this harness and the timing is just coincidence.

Attachments

·
Registered
904 Posts
DiElectric grease all electrical connections after you check everything. Helps with water and corrosion.

Thanks for the info Iceracer, now I am trying to get info on how to tear the front end down to install a winch mount and winch.

·
Registered
83 Posts
DiElectric grease all electrical connections after you check everything. Helps with water and corrosion.

Thanks for the info Iceracer, now I am trying to get info on how to tear the front end down to install a winch mount and winch.
Didn't yours come with a winch, or are you looking for something bigger and better?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The sport version, it does not come with a winch instead it comes with a different suspension. I had to tear down mine to install one as well. You get to know the unit alot better after doing it though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The ECU defaults to the 14 mph reverse speed limit if it loses signal from the reverse switch (it fails "safe"). This switch is in the transmission near the base of the dip stick. There is also a neutral switch in the same area that tells the ECU if you're in neutral to allow starting without your foot on the brake.

Check out the attached clip from the Tech Manual.

Check to see if these are plugged in properly. Also, check to see if the pins in the connectors are bent over or making intermitent contact. Maybe they're getting wet and dry out when you let it run? Or maybe there's a lose or pinched wire in this harness and the timing is just coincidence.
thanks for the clip. I will check this out today. How is it that the tech at the local JD says he has been looking in the tech info he has for a week and could not find anything about these switches? :confused:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts