John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyon, I just wanted to put this out for opinion. I’m a “Hi-End“ landscaper. Meaning we handle estates that are over $25 million or more here in Palm Beach, FL. I was told by my accountant to replace my gators for the tax write-off. We keep a gator at every estate we do. They're all in excellent condition. The property managers will not tolerate beat up equipment on the estates. Now, my gators have anywhere from 1375hrs - 6350hrs! When I say they all run excellent - They Do!! Never had any trouble with them at all! We always use Marvel Mystery Oil in gas & Lucus Oil Additives in oil from day one. No engine work, other than new plugs, wires & filters. They are not used hard. Just mostly for hauling fertilizer, debris & spray equipment around. The seats & bodywork all look fantasti. I did put new seats on three gators last year. They all get washed twice a week & are parked in air-condition garages. I’m just not too happy with the thought of having to replace over 32 gators just for a “write-off” to Uncle Sam! I’m just kind of afraid with the quality of the equipment being built today, I just don’t want to give myself a bag of headaches. Especially one that I can preven. I already replace all of our mowers every three years and our blowers & stick equipment every two years. I think that’s enough. But, my account is just looking at the savings he could work with. I’m looking at equipment that never -ever failed us! Especially since they all do look like they are new. The oldest one is 2006-2018. I guess what I’m asking is, ”would you people update the fleet or just keep going along as usual knowing the way things are being produced in today’s economy. Or, if we did update. Wait until supplies get better?” Take the money factor out of it. We can handle the purchase. I just want more examples of opinions to help me make a thoughtful resolution to this dilemm. I know I’m going to need to replace them. I was just hoping to do it when “one-by-one” they would die. it’s hard to get rid of equipment that you know is very dependable. We even named & labeled each gator. It’s hard to be disloyal to them just for the write-off……I think I’m going crazy! Thanks-A-Million, Robert Vargas

·
Registered
214 Posts
My $.02 ...if its not broke don't "fix" it. Sounds like your preventative maintenance program is effective....I would keep the existing fleet until Deere gets a full capable/full electric Gator on line.

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
1,050 Posts
Paragraphs are free and make your manifesto a lot easier to read. My eyes crossed half way through reading but I think I got the idea. I agree with Shink4. Good, older equipment can be hard to beat and if you don't have a good reason to retire it maybe it's not the thing to do.

I can't tell you how many times I've upgraded only to realize that the new machine isn't much better than the old and in some cases the old was better. I'm becoming a simple is better person. New machines with their new features sound sexy but in the end I tend to realize that most of these new features don't help the machine work better and only add complexity, cost and one more thing to maintain or have break out in the field.
---
By the way. I love to hear how you care for your machines. I have mostly older equipment. It was new when I purchased it but in some cases 20 years later it still looks good and works hard. I store all my machines inside with AC & heat. Yes, it's a luxury but with climate controlled conditions nothing rusts, the sun doesn't crack plastic or fade paint. Even if the machine has sat for a long time it starts when I turn the key.

I also really love the lack of safety features and computers on the older equipment. It makes maintenance easier and the machine is simpler (less stuff = less things to break). Gators don't need it but I also like older diesels that do not require DEF fluid. Tier 4 sounds great until you see that it turns the exhaust into a "system" with it's complexity and maintenance requirements.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paragraphs are free and make your manifesto a lot easier to read. My eyes crossed half way through reading but I think I got the idea. I agree with Shink4. Good, older equipment can be hard to beat and if you don't have a good reason to retire it maybe it's not the thing to do.

I can't tell you how many times I've upgraded only to realize that the new machine isn't much better than the old and in some cases the old was better. I'm becoming a simple is better person. New machines with their new features sound sexy but in the end I tend to realize that most of these new features don't help the machine work better and only add complexity, cost and one more thing to maintain or have break out in the field.
---
By the way. I love to hear how you care for your machines. I have mostly older equipment. It was new when I purchased it but in some cases 20 years later it still looks good and works hard. I store all my machines inside with AC & heat. Yes, it's a luxury but with climate controlled conditions nothing rusts, the sun doesn't crack plastic or fade paint. Even if the machine has sat for a long time it starts when I turn the key.

I also really love the lack of safety features and computers on the older equipment. It makes maintenance easier and the machine is simpler (less stuff = less things to break). Gators don't need it but I also like older diesels that do not require DEF fluid. Tier 4 sounds great until you see that it turns the exhaust into a "system" with it's complexity and maintenance requirements.
Thanks for the post so far. They are of points that I honestly haven’t really thought of. Especially like maybe waiting for a true all electric version that has the bugs worked out come to market. The only thing with those are the cost of each unit. We have learned that going from our gas 36”-60” mowers at a cost of $10k - $14k each to electrical units @ $28k- $33k each is a bit of a shock. I could only imagine what a E-gator would cost especially as many as we have! I’m a believer in weekly maintenance. The proof is that our equipment last. I only sell off our equipment to a lucky few & sometimes donate it. Their is a waiting list for our equipment when we decide to sell it. I don’t ask a lot for it. Just most of the time enough to cover the taxes & 10% on the new equipment we buy. That leaves years of service left on the machines and people who wouldn’t be able to update their fleet are able to do so. The maintenance we are saving from going to E-mowers has yet to be fully realized. We still are putting on sharpened blades every three days, that never changed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the post so far. They are of points that I honestly haven’t really thought of. Especially like maybe waiting for a true all electric version that has the bugs worked out come to market. The only thing with those are the cost of each unit. We have learned that going from our gas 36”-60” mowers at a cost of $10k - $14k each to electrical units @ $28k- $33k each is a bit of a shock. I could only imagine what a E-gator would cost especially as many as we have! I’m a believer in weekly maintenance. The proof is that our equipment last. I only sell off our equipment to a lucky few & sometimes donate it. Their is a waiting list for our equipment when we decide to sell it. I don’t ask a lot for it. Just most of the time enough to cover the taxes & 10% on the new equipment we buy. That leaves years of service left on the machines and people who wouldn’t be able to update their fleet are able to do so. The maintenance we are saving from going to E-mowers has yet to be fully realized. We still are putting on sharpened blades every three days, that never changed.
Hello their Robert! I just lost my gator and can't much function without. What would it take to get on your waiting list? Many thanks! ~Susanne

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just called my dealer in central TX who quoted me MSRP ~$14K for an eGator, but, he also relayed that the last one ordered had a 6-8 mo. wait and the price wasn’t guaranteed (could go up). It scared me away…looking for used now.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
When was the last one ordered? If last year the delivery estimate might not be accurate.
Perhaps call a few dealers outside your area to see if they have one in stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts