John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve got a question, I bought a 2021 590m, I had a 590i for 4 years and loved that thing but decided I wanted to try a pioneer, turns out the pioneer just wasn’t for me, anyway when I crank the 590m and go from park to high and push the accelerator I hear an initial clunking noise underneath me, my 590i didn’t do that, I don’t feel that it’s hurting anything at all it’s just weird, can anyone chime in on this?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Sounds like something your dealer should be addressing while under warranty.

Not certain if it is the same, but someone recently reported a "slapping" noise when taking off. You might find it an interesting read.

·
Registered
813 Posts
It sounds like the transmission dropping into gear. Always insure the transmission is engaged (not just the lever position on the dash) before accelerating. Usually all it takes is a light touch on the gas pedal. Once the belt starts turning it allows the transmission to drop into gear.

The Gator's transmission is not synchronized like on a car. When you are at idle nothing in the transmission is turning. When you move the shift lever the gears come together. If the tooth of one gear happens to be aligned with the valley of the other gear it goes into gear nice & easy and with no sound. If the two gears come together tooth to tooth it sort of hangs up and the gears are not engaged. If you gently accelerate the clutches will engage, turning the transmission a bit which allows the gears to drop into mesh making a clunk sound no harm done. If you shift and stomp on the gas those gears can slam together. At best it only makes an awful noise but it can grind a bit of the gear off and in a worst case scenario you snap teeth off the gears.

Here is a simple test:
You can do this with the engine off but if you do it with the engine on do NOT press the accelerator/gas pedal, just let it idle. Shift it into gear. Then push the Gator forward a bit. Usually it will roll a short distance sorta easily (transmission is not in gear) then you'll feel the transmission drop into gear and you might hear a clunk. That is the transmission going into gear and the Gator should be much harder to push. Now that you've verified that it's engaged in gear you should NOT have the clunk when you start moving.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dane it really doesn’t sound like it’s anything at all honestly, I just know my old gator 590i didn’t do it at all, it had a parking brake this one has a transmission with park in it, it only does it after I put it in gear and accelerate to move, it also does it in reverse as well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts