John Deere Gator Forums banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Frozen on the ridge

My gator 550 has been sitting up on a logging road behind our house for the last three weeks. cold temperatures will not allow it to shift from gear to gear it will not move. bad design shameful problems to have with a brand-new machine I only have 40 hours on my gator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
got my 550 back from the shop two weeks ago, the service manager at shorewood home and auto was great and went out of his way to help. 86 hours and out of warranty, but he got deere to pay for $1100 of the $1300 bill. replaced drive belt, shift cable and transmission seals. Still dies out when I plow, still won't shift. Just traded it in for an xuv 825i, sad because I really wanted to like the 550 but the engine and clutch/tranny were garbage.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've diffenitely had my problems with My 550 S4 with shifting. They replaced the primary clutch and it worked fine for awhile then it started again. This time they replaced the clutch belt a new fix from what I understand. JD is now saying both need to be replaced. My 550 is working fine again. One person on another forum said that he turned down the idle and it started shifting. The linkage also stretches and needs to be ajusted after a few hours. JD makes a good product but the 550 has been a headache for them. It was a new inexpensive way of giving us that don't make make alot to enjoy a little off roading. The 825i 850i are wonderful rigs but at nearly $8000.00 more to have a 850i or 825i set up like my 550 I just couldn't see it. I enjoy my 550 and it's great for the beaches here in South Texas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Drive shaft for front wheels on 550

After having an issue with the front wheels not being driven all the time. It would "grab" and then pull in. I made the adjustments for the 2wd/4wd shifter called out in the technical manual and it seems to have helped a lot. I did notice though the drive shaft to the front wheels is always spinning even when in 2wd and feels like it is locked in. I drove it backward and forward in 2wd to make sure it was unlocked. I would expect the front driveshaft could be spun by hand if the shifter was in 2wd. Has anyone noticed if this is normal?

·
Registered
3 Posts
vandertt, I hope you continue having good luck with your machine. I had mine in the shop so many times, it was starting to become depressing. At over 3K dropped in repair bills over the 2 years I had it, I decided to let it go. Dealer gave me a really good deal on a 825, I was able to finance for 0% and my payment barely went up so it was a win I suppose. I get jealous every time I see you post, I have a condo on South Padre and absolutely love it down there. Maybe some day I can make the move from Chicago land to Southern Texas, don't think I would miss Illinois much!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I live on Padre Island Corpus Christi. I've been to South Padre a couple or 3 times. It's much differant the sand is so white and it's much cleaner down there. People here do not care about their beaches. They leave trash everywhere. My wife and I fill our Gator up with trash but we have to take it home to empty it. Trash cans on the island are full. We're thinking Montana for my retirement. We are so disappointed in Corpus Christi and North Padre Island. We'll miss the beach but hopefully we can find a place in the mountains of Montana with lots of trails for our 550.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I see most of you are having a shifter probelem with your 550, I just want to chime in and same my shifter just broke on my 2013 825i. Along with the starter freezing up below 32 degrees. Both have been replaced under warranty, so we will see how things go from here on out. I hope that is it!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Enough is enough

OK I have officially had it with my 550! I also had a few hours last night of spare time. Seems John Deere never bothered to register the domain gator550.com :)

It's now my site dedicated to warning others about this lemon model!

-W

PS my Gator 550 will only shift if it been thawed out in my heated garage. Once it goes outside it is stuck in whichever gear I have it in after a few minutes. I can now tell you exactly where my driveway is wide enough to turn the Gator around without having to use reverse.

·
Registered
250 Posts
OK I have officially had it with my 550! I also had a few hours last night of spare time. Seems John Deere never bothered to register the domain gator550.com :)

It's now my site dedicated to warning others about this lemon model!

-W

PS my Gator 550 will only shift if it been thawed out in my heated garage. Once it goes outside it is stuck in whichever gear I have it in after a few minutes. I can now tell you exactly where my driveway is wide enough to turn the Gator around without having to use reverse.
What has your dealer done to correct this issue? Deere has addressed this issue. They have a new style cable.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just got back my 550 and it shifts okay sometimes then it will stick again. Now the bed pin is missing after sevice. I'm at my wits end.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I just picked up a 550 with 30 hrs. And the shifting is really stiff and on a grade jams in reverse. This is the third JD gator I have owned. The first was the 6x4 which worked great, the second was a HPX which was also trouble free. I wished I Knew about the forum before the purchase. I called the JD trouble phone number and was told that it had a 2 year warranty which was not true and that they were not problem solvers. I am wondering what it is going to cost to solve this shifting problem...
bringing you up to date. slowing the idle down helped with the shifting until today. I had it outside for only 15 minutes 19 degrees and it would not shift at all!!!!! so I put it back in the garage. so I hope when it warms up it will shift again. As I stated before this is my 3rd John Deere and the others were great. I am still in the 30 hrs. range and the parking brake does not work either. I think some one should really get after JD and get some recalls made. I wish I could go on the Farm Bureau factory tour coming up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a used 2012 550 (seems to be the year mentioned a lot) and when it gets cold it won't shift out of the gear it's in. When the weather warms up ti's fine. Now I realize the dealership hoodwinked me. I'm going to trade it in on something else, most likely another brand, if possible. But all the dealers probably know the 550 is a lemon, so I'm not to hopeful I would get a decent price. Anyone want to buy it cheap?

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
I bought a used 2012 550 (seems to be the year mentioned a lot) and when it gets cold it won't shift out of the gear it's in. When the weather warms up ti's fine. Now I realize the dealership hoodwinked me. I'm going to trade it in on something else, most likely another brand, if possible. But all the dealers probably know the 550 is a lemon, so I'm not to hopeful I would get a decent price. Anyone want to buy it cheap?

Contact JD Clutch Doc at [email protected] they have a permanent fix for the primary clutch sticking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to forum and have a 550. Purchased in 2012 and has been lightly used at a vacation property since that time. It gets run in 2x4 almost 100% of the time. I had an instance shortly after purchase where I needed the 4x4. Shifted to 4H and got no movement from the front wheels. Shifted to 4L (lock) and got out of the situation. At the time, I knew something was up but thought that I had at least 4L. Well since that time, I have come to realize that the only way I got out of the particular situation was because the rear differential locked...not because the front differential was engaged by the front drive shaft. Obviously long story short, I can't engage the 4x4 on my machine. I get rear wheel spin in 2x4H, 2x4L, 4x4H, and 4x4L but no front wheel spin in either of the 4x4 settings. I can look under the second row seat and see the drive shaft for the front wheels spinning when the machine is in motion regardless of the shiftier setting.

Any thoughts on what is keeping me from engaging the 4x4?

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
New to forum and have a 550. Purchased in 2012 and has been lightly used at a vacation property since that time. It gets run in 2x4 almost 100% of the time. I had an instance shortly after purchase where I needed the 4x4. Shifted to 4H and got no movement from the front wheels. Shifted to 4L (lock) and got out of the situation. At the time, I knew something was up but thought that I had at least 4L. Well since that time, I have come to realize that the only way I got out of the particular situation was because the rear differential locked...not because the front differential was engaged by the front drive shaft. Obviously long story short, I can't engage the 4x4 on my machine. I get rear wheel spin in 2x4H, 2x4L, 4x4H, and 4x4L but no front wheel spin in either of the 4x4 settings. I can look under the second row seat and see the drive shaft for the front wheels spinning when the machine is in motion regardless of the shiftier setting.

Any thoughts on what is keeping me from engaging the 4x4?

Thanks,

You might consider starting a new thread rather than piggybacking on this thread. Posts are often overlooked when buried in an existing thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
John deere 825i clutch problems

I PURCHASED THIS TURD ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO AND IT CURRENTLY HAS IT'S 4TH CLUTCH. when YOU TAKE IT OUT AND GET IT GOOD AND HOT THE CLUTCH AFTER 20-30 HOURS JUST LOCKS AND YOU CAN'T GET IT OUT OF GEAR. tHE MECHANIC AT THE DEALERSHIP TELLS ME I JUST DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IT CORRECTLY AND THE CLUTCH IS ALL MY FAULT. I PAID ALMOST 17,000 FOR THIS pos AND WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER jOHN DEERE FOUR WHEELER OF ANY KIND. I WOULD CERTAINLY PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT IF ONE EVER BECAME AVAILABLE.

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
I PURCHASED THIS TURD ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO AND IT CURRENTLY HAS IT'S 4TH CLUTCH. when YOU TAKE IT OUT AND GET IT GOOD AND HOT THE CLUTCH AFTER 20-30 HOURS JUST LOCKS AND YOU CAN'T GET IT OUT OF GEAR. tHE MECHANIC AT THE DEALERSHIP TELLS ME I JUST DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IT CORRECTLY AND THE CLUTCH IS ALL MY FAULT. I PAID ALMOST 17,000 FOR THIS pos AND WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER jOHN DEERE FOUR WHEELER OF ANY KIND. I WOULD CERTAINLY PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT IF ONE EVER BECAME AVAILABLE.

JD Clutch Doc can help your hard to shift clutch issues.

Please email [email protected] for more information.

Thanks

·
Registered
721 Posts
RIDGEFARMER: Take your caps lock off. It makes your post difficult to read. Then contact the Clutch Doc and arrange to send your primary/drive clutch to him.

When your Gator can't shift turn off the engine. If it shifts with the engine off then it's almost definetely the primary clutch and Clutch Doc will be able to help. Do NOT force the gear shift lever when it doesn't want to shift. Forcing it can damage the transmission (very expensive) or break the shift cable (inexpensive but a PITA to replace).

I bought my 550 new when they first came out. Just like you after the first 20 hours the clutch started sticking and shifting became difficult or impossible with the engine running. I had my Gator back to the dealer several times in the first 100 hours and went through several clutches under warranty but the problem always returned. I sent my clutch to Clutch Doc and I have not had any trouble in the several years since. It was a big step in turning the machine from a POS to something reliable and useful for work.

---
Another area of problem for the 550 are the engine head gaskets in the earlier models. It would blow the head gaskets which would soon foul the spark plugs and cause trouble with starting and idling especially on hot humid days. The replacement head gaskets from Deere seem to solve the problem long term.

The parking brake is also a weak point. The earlier cable that connects the pedal to the brake is prone to breaking. The cable that Deere currently sells has been modified and seems to hold up much better. Mine hasn't broken since I put in the new part number.

If you have any other troubles start a new thread in the forum. I think I've run into and fixed most of the common problems and the machine is finally good and reliable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gday from down under, after watching my near new 2012 550 rot away in the paddock from shift and tranny issues I was determined to find out where JD went so wrong. And had a very interesting find. The bearing on the cluster shaft ( fwd-rev) is the wrong size OD from the factory, the part number listed is also for the wrong bearing so even if you rebuild you old tranny JD will supply the wrong bearing again, causing the same issues. This causes the cluster to tilt under load jamming the selector fork locking the tranny in gear, looser belts and reworked clutches help to lighten the load and make it slightly easier to shift, but the problem remains internally, now, the floating cluster then works on the transfer pinion bearing usually destroying the 4x4 pinion and carrier gears and housings $$. Anyways... My 550 is back in service and shift sweet.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

Your findings would be of greater value to the forum community if you clearly identified the bearing in question, provided the required correct bearing p/n and the original incorrect bearing p/n. (Posting the parts drawing with item number would increase clarity.)

There is value in what you found but difficult for others to act upon.

Curious if you shared your findings with JD and what their response was.

Thanks again for posting this finding!

101 - 120 of 126 Posts