John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a serial #W006x4x008061, figure early '90s.

The gears grind when going into gear (fwd or rev) from neutral. OK, so I try to turn down the idle a bit and find 2 idle screws, one at the carb and 1 under the shroud over the transmission. Watching and counting the turns so I can always put it back I find....
It takes both to get it to idle down, when it does idle down the clutch goes "click" and lets off a final step and now the gears don't grind. (subdued YAY) But! now the idle is low so it won't keep the battery charged when idling, and it spends a good deal of duty cycle idling while unloading hay for the horses or crumbles for the birds.

Checked the alternator output and gets 13.5 maximum when revved up and 12.3 when idling, but I don't trust my meter. Cleaned all grounds I could find, checked (cleaned/tightened) connector at regulator. It should be kicking out a bit more than that.

So I wonder if the clutch has an adjustment for that "let off" speed so I can up the idle a touch yet still not be grinding the gearbox to death? Can't imagine the gearbox is a cheap and easy thing to replace.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you get the grinding to stop?

I just bought a 1999 6x4 and the gears grind going into both forward and reverse. I have better luck if I put in reverse first and then go into forward. I really don't like the way it sounds as it has to be doing damage.

The guy I bought it from said he spoke to a JD dealer and they told him it is a known issue with that year/model and that it is not a big deal. However, I would really like to fix this if I can.

John

·
Registered
195 Posts
That guy was correct, That transmission does not have synchronizers in it to help softer shifting.Adjust idle as far down as possible and when you put it in gear don't try to go slow, push the lever quickly so the gears don't grind. It will clunk into gear. If the machine wants to move some after putting in gear and still at idle then the clutch needs some work done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, if that's how they work. Grinding gears just sort have always seemed wrong. Have given up on the local dealer, he couldn't even tell me the right spark-plug for it.:confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Grinding gears

Thanks for the response. Guess I'll have to live with it too. I do seem to have better luck by putting into reverse first. Reverse does not grind nearly as much. I then shift quickly into forward and it seems to work most of the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts