John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 1994 Worksite 6x4 with the Kawasaki 620D. The motor smokes real bad and it looses power on an uphill climb. I replaced the water pump and gaskets last year because there was water in my oil. Solved that problem but I've still got tons of smoke. Really, the mosquito's fear this thing. Of course as some of you have probably found out all the parts can only be purchased thru Deere for the small sum of your first born child. Question is, has anyone ever figured out a way to around that or is there a way around that? I'm wondering if I can just replace the rings and lash the valves and she'll be back to tugging like a draft horse again. The last four digits of the motor model # that designate it John Deere are AS11. Anyone every try parts from and AS10 or AS12?

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
864 Posts
Deere gives their motors model numbers unique to them. It could be a totally stock engine but with a Deere model number. I imagine there are some minor tweaks that make it a special engine but I would bet that most of the engine is stock Kawasaki. I would identify a Kawasaki that is closest in configuration and try parts from it. Worst case is you have to get parts from Deere but it's worth trying using commonly available parts. One major part possibly not stock would be the crank (Deere often uses a non standard taper) but most everything else internal to the engine is probably stock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dane. I figured that to be the case but didn't know if anyone has actually tried that before. Called the local Deere dealer in town for a quote on a complete engine rebuild. Quoted me $1700. Not surprisingly it's the same price I can buy a new one for. I don't know if their just not interested in the work or if their nuttier than bat crap but either way, they won't get business out of me at that price.
Probably go with a set of rings out of the -AS12 model sometime this summer. i'll let you all know how it turns out.
Thanks again,
jeff

·
Premium Member
1998 - 6X4 W/Hyd lift bed
3 Posts
You may want to look at a replacement. I found that small Engine Warehouse has a Briggs & Stratton Kit replacement for the FD620 for about $1700.00 3 yr warranty might be a better option for you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts