John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bench seat in the standard 825i sits way back, with no adjustment feature. Complaints from the average height crowd (myself included) created action. While installing sound absorbing foam, I re-drilled some holes 2” further forward. That helped a lot. But then, the gear shift lever hit the seat when putting it in reverse. Sometimes it would not engage at all. Pulled the seat. Took a MAPP torch and heated the shift lever (between the handle and the existing bend) and put a second bend of ~ 30 degrees in it. Pull the plastic handle on the gear shift before you do this. Pop the top off, remove the nut and the rest slides right off. You’ll also want to put a wet cloth around the shift lever where it exits from the plastic position cover to keep from melting it. It helps to slip a piece of pipe over the shift lever to help co0ntrol the bending process. A little black touch-up paint takes things back to pretty if you desire. Re-assemble and you are good to go.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That was a great idea...I don't have the problem of having a seat too far back because I have the high back black sport seats in mine...I have a Grandson who rides with my alot and the wife and I were thinking about buying a bench seat to use when we take him riding on a Trail System like the Hatfield McCoy Trails out in WV...he's not quite 2 years old, so he don't take up too much space...yet...hahaha!!!

Soon after I got my 825i, I installed a 6 inch shifter extension with a skull shift knob...I like it sitting up higher...it actually made the shift knob almost get close enough to the dash when I put it in reverse to push the "up/down" snow plow control button...I thought that would work good to push it "up" while backing up but we never got an more than an inch of snow here in MD this year...no playing with my new snow plow for me this season!!!

I had actually bought a brand new snow blower for my X540 Garden Tractor at the end of last snow season, before I bought my Gator with the new plow...I still haven't had a chance to use the snow blower either...I figure if I buy another snow removal implement before next winter, we'll be assured of not getting any snow then either....that's my luck...I kinda wanted to go plow some snow in my new Gator this year, dammitt...

Larry in MD :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts