John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this gator for $250 dollars. It is in very rough condition but it does run. This is my first time owning a machine like this. I would like to do some repairs on it. I do not know how to tell what year and model it is and if it is 2 or 4 wheel drive. I know right now it needs front wheel bearings and an oil change. Does anyone know of a good source for parts. And what kind of oil should I put in it. I'm sure I will need more parts as I get into it more. Any advice would be helpful since this is my first time owning and working on one of these. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yup... just a touch on the rough side! But running for 250 not bad! Parts can be bought at your Deere dealer. Some after market parts are available. Use 10/30 oil. 2 qts. Oil filter is AM107423. If you have a drive shaft going to each front wheel like a front wheel drive car, its a 4x4. Cant tell from yur pics. PIN plate should be either in the rear on frame or on right side frame rail under pass seat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Update

Thanks for the info! It is a 2 wheel drive. But now it wont crank. In fact it wont even turn over. Im not sure what the problem is because it would start last night and it hasnt been fooled with since. I charged the battery but that didnt help. I am also not able to find a serial number. I have looked in the places mentioned and all I can find is the remains of a sticker on the rear frame. Any other way to determine the year :confused:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to the forum TheBeard!!!!!!!! Good Luck with the project!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
It is definitely a good project! Enjoy!

·
Registered
250 Posts
You may find the number stamped in the frame under the passenger seat. Deere put the serial number in several places on the frame in the event the decal became unreadable. The only problem is... they dont even tell the dealers where the "secret" stampings are at. We have to request it, along with a new PIN plate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.