John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
My mate has a gator 850 and when he selects forward gear it slams into gear and when he pulls off it also pulls off with a bang and jolts off,
My mate has no internet as he lives where you need a gator just to get to his house this is why i am asking if anyone can hel
Im no mechanic so hope i have described ok be very greatfull for help in sorting this out for him

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! im not to helpful on the belt side of things yet as im coming from Honda ATVs with a shaft drive. but im sure one of these guys will chime in and help u out much better than i can

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sounds very similar the the machine that I test drove at the dealer before purchasing. I drove it around the dealers lot several times to the tune of 3 miles (big lot). It had a slight shifting issue before I test drove (machine had 7hrs and 20miles beforehand) and was grinding/lurching by the time I was done with my test drive. Mind you I was very hard on the machine during my demo including full throttle starts, etc. I parked the machine and told the salesman I was interested but wanted the clutch/shifting checked out before purchasing. Long story short, they ordered me a new machine and put that one in the shop for a clutch replacement. Salesman was very honest and upfront about the clutch issues that they are having. Sounds like your "mates" machine is having similar issues.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mine had a shifting issue at 1 time..I repaired it my adjusting the shift cable length back at the trans..My cable is blue with 2 nuts, to lengthen or shorten,, I chose a small hill and would put in high go up the hill just a couple of feet , let of gas and roll back to flat ground..Took me about 30 times to do a fine tune adustment

·
Registered
165 Posts
Fred, you already mentioned your bald head, now your telling everyone that you have a "blue cable with two nuts"??? Dude, take it easy:D:D
Sorry Fred, but that's funny right there!!
For those that follow this forum that's an inside joke, but still funny. Sorry Fred.

·
Registered
165 Posts
not at all, I can be a little snarky or sarcastic but I just found that cable description too funny to let pass. I think advice from a Master Mechanic is an asset to this forum. I've mentioned before, with the help from this forum I took a '97 6x4 diesel gator I would have given away to a fully functioning gator for about $1000, and $800 of that was new wheels and tires. There's nothing wrong with a little humor once in awhile:p

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm having linkage problems as well now with only 23 miles and 6 hrs.

The machine will not go into low. High is where low is, neutral where high and reversed where neutral.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sounds like a simple adjustment Nike..I also found out when loading your rig..I put mine in the bed of my truck and locks it down very well...To leave it in Reverse and set the E-Brake and then tighten down your Load..I did it once and left it in Drive and had 1 hell of a time getting it back to Neutral

·
Registered
153 Posts
How easy is it to make the linkage adjustments? I'm at our ranch and my owners manual is 3hrs away at home. Luckily, I can ride around is high here for everything we are doing.

My machine is less than 2 months old. Should I take it to the dealer or do it myself?

·
Registered
165 Posts
easy is relative, is it easier to make the fix yourself or take it to the dealer? I would always let the dealer make any repairs under warranty. It's what they do, they may possibly find something other than the adjustment and it's documented in the case of a future problem. It's also possible you may void the warranty if you make certain repairs, although adjusting a cable most likely isn't one of them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Spoke to the dealer yesterday about the issue. Common problem he says. Would only take about 10 mins to fix. Then I looked in the manual and saw that he is correct.

My machine only has a 6mth warranty with less than 5mths left. I prefer to work on all my own equipment for several reasons... I will be attempting to do this myself hopefully sometime this week/weekend. My dealer is 30 miles from my home but having to take off of work to drop off and pick up the machine is more of the inconvenience in this situation. If the issue was major I would probably feel differently.

·
Registered
165 Posts
excellent choice, doing your own work is the best way to learn about your machine and saves you money. Mentioned the warranty, just in case. Good luck.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bumping this back up. There seems to be no adjustment on the linkage of an RSX 850. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Think I figured it out. The locking nut on where the linkage ties into the trans had to of slipped. Have it off now and in the process of getting it adjusted.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I got the linkage adjusted at the trans and added some red loctite to the nut and threads. Have a ride Friday night, let's see how long it holds!!

Took me longer than I thought but am glad I didn't take it to the dealer! For now. Lol

·
Registered
165 Posts
good to hear you got it fixed, I would have also suggested calling your local dealer for some instructions since you're still under warranty to walk you through it, keep us informed if it holds. I believe fred and I are even on the "friendly" shots so the red lock-tight on the nuts will pass without comment:eek:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Should I have used blue loctite for my nut? Lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts