John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
XUV 550-1.jpg

XUV 550-2.jpg

XUV 550-3.jpg Hi All, Here are some pics of my new 550 at the dealer waiting on delivery and installation of some options. Thanks, mountaingoat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
They are sharp looking and I like how the steering wheel is oriented compared to the 825i's...mine is too low and sits kinda flat...trying to figure out how to raise it up...there's a U-joint just out from where it goes into the cab making extending the shaft kinda difficult...might have to add some inside the cab...

Thanx for the pics....

Larry in MD :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
They are sharp looking and I like how the steering wheel is oriented compared to the 825i's...mine is too low and sits kinda flat...trying to figure out how to raise it up...there's a U-joint just out from where it goes into the cab making extending the shaft kinda difficult...might have to add some inside the cab...

Thanx for the pics....

I agree completely about the steering wheel! I am anxiously awaiting my almost new 825i, but the steering wheel position is my biggest complaint. I have not driven the 550, but it does have a better ergonomic! (Thought about the 550, but for my needs, it just didn't quite cut it.) If you figure out anything, I'm looking forward to your solution.

I did have the opportunity to look at the 4-seaters, but haven't seen any of the 2-seat 550s in person. Enjoy!!!

Mountaingoat, congrats on your new machine!!! Hope it's in your hands by the time you read this! :) Love to hear about how you like it in day to day use. (Hoping you won't make me regret getting the bigger brother!)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Kiwi...I will figure something out....once I set my mind to it, I am like a pit bull on it...it bothers me enough to do something, egven if it just raises it up another inch or so...

Congrats on getting an 825...they are a tough machine to beat...you won't be sorry you got that one at all....they are beasts!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kiwi06, I'll pass along some first impressions, once I finally get the tires on the road. Good luck with the steering wheel changes, mountaingoat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Larry,

Yeah, I'm pretty excited - and bummed. Originally I was supposed to get it this past Wednesday, but things happen, and I'm now looking at delivery on Monday. :(

As for the steering wheel, sounds like you and I are of a similar vein... I'll be looking at mods for that once I wear myself out playing with it the first day. :D

- Steve in snowy CO!

·
Registered
12 Posts
New Gator for me today as well!

Just heading out to the dealership in Edmonton to bring home my new 550. Excited about all the possibilities of using this unit.....had to sell my Honda 600 XL and my Bombardier quad to pay for this rig. Will post some photos later.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New 550!

You're going to love this little Gator! I had a ton of accessories added to my unit. The low interest JD financing deal, with the the smaller overall price tag for the 550 left room for more "want-to -haves", even at Deere prices! The rest I'll design and build myself. Good luck, and enjoy your new ride! mountaingoat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Now that the 2-seat XUV 550s are starting to be delivered, I expect the aftermarket to ramp up pretty quickly. I think these machines will prove quite popular, and I hope to see a lot more soon!

- Steve in sunny CO

·
Registered
176 Posts
Looks like one I bought except I bought the 550 S4. I added a winch and a Vented Windshield. I love mine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
550 s4

Hi, I got the xuv 550 s4 for work around the small farm. I wish I could say that I love mine:( I can't it has been nothing but problems with it. Now it won't even shift out of gear and the dealer can't fix it. So it just sits there stuck in reverse.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Leatherworker. Sorry to hear of your problems. As with any dealership, if you have a bad one any problem will be made worse. Would contacting J D directly, and insisting they provide a capable dealership to fix the defects help? Good luck, mountaingoat.

·
Registered
41 Posts
my xuv 550

Hi Mountaingoat and thank you, by the way that is an awesome xuv 550 you have. I am glad yours works for you. I am not sure what to do at this point. My dealer said that they already contacted John Deere and there is no fix for the shifting problem. I was told just to try shutting it off and shifting or drive it in the direction it is stuck and force it to shift the gear I want. I have tried both and there is no getting it out of reverse my friends have tried it is stuck. With my gator the only way to get it in drive again is to back up a hill and then shut it off and sit and wait till it starts to roll forward and push on the shift knob as hard as you can while it is freewheeling down. Then it will shift to neutral. I managed to get it down to the garage and I am not planning on taking it back out. Anyway I am going to try contacting John Deere and see what they say. I am really close to just selling it and be done with it. Really this whole experience is just sickening this is my first utv and I can’t afford to go shopping for another right now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Leatherworker. This is what my research shows:
Residential and Commercial Equipment (for Residential and Commercial applications such as walk behind mowers, riding mowers, commercial mowing equipment, Gator Utility Vehicles, and Compact and Sub-Compact Utility Tractors, and websites for these products)
Phone: 1-800-537-8233
March - September Hours:
8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (EST) Monday - Friday and 9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. (EST) Saturday
Closed Sunday and Holidays

October - February Hours:
8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (EST) Monday - Friday and 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. (EST) Saturday
Closed Sunday and Holidays Hope this helps, good luck, mountaingoat.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ok so I drove over to my dealer on Friday, to talk to the sales guy, he wasn’t there so I talked to the girls at the counter and they said there was nothing they could do about it. I got the customer service number and called jd customer service today. I talked to 3 customer service reps and got nowhere no one cared. They just said they are looking into it. I called the dealer and talked to the salesman he said he talked to JD and they said they know about it and it is an ongoing problem and they are looking into it. My dealer said that he doesn’t know when or if they will ever find a fix for it. So now I am stuck.

·
Registered
176 Posts
They replaced the secondary clutch on my 550 it's seems to have fixed the problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi vanderrt thanks, I asked my dealer about the secondary clutch and they said they checked everything and they don't know what is wrong. So I don't know what is going on. But thanks again for the info. I just called the next closest dealer 24 miles away and they said they might be able to fix it and are going to call back to set up an appointment next week. I hope they can fix it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts