John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I got this thing in august 2012 loved it at first, then all the problems happened now it is stuck in gear and will not move. And the best part the dealer won't fix it because they don't know how.:mad:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Nice looking gator. I am sorry to hear about your problems. If you were closer to here, I got a dealer that would get it fixed for you.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I am going to try to get them to become a member on here and hopefully a supporting vendor so they can give online help and yall can also get parts directly.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Had a similar problem with my RSX, it leaked trans fluid a good bit from the vent line. Asked the dealer about it, and they didn't even know where the vent line was. They wanted to be helpful, but just didn't have experience with working on these machines.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know my gator needs a new clutch and they have had it for two weeks now and I am still waiting for a progress report from them. My dealer has had my gator more than I have.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok I test drove my gator and it is shifting now without any problems. There were a few times when it felt a little sticky but nothing like it was. The dealer replaced the clutch they said it wasn’t letting the belt go. Now it is driving fine I can shift in and out of reverse no problem. I can shift it without having to shut it off!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm glad everything is going good with your 550 S4. I still have a problem coming out 4WD. I hope to look at the linkage adjustment this weekend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am new to the forum and have been considering a XUV550 for small chores and to get around on a small property as I am handicapped. I was considering this model mostly because I need a machine that is small in size to fit into a small barn. I have found a like new used 550 with 38 hours on it at a great price and was considering it, but I keep reading all kinds of posts of troubles with 550's. Is this typical of this model or should I just buy a simple work gator like a CX?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Blbolin be sure if it's a 2012 that the Clutch up grads are done. If you live in a really cold climate the linkage should be changed. I love mine but it's a S4 and it is 12' long and weighs 1400lbs. I'm in a wheel chair it is difficult to get into because of the retaining bar on the side of the seats. I ended up building a portable ramp just to get into the dang thing. I've used it to pull out small trees and large plants. My yard is landscaped in white rock so I bought a JD in bed Sprayer and now my wife does the whole yard in an hour or less. A job that use to take all day. My wife and I live on North Padre Island so we mostly use it to tour the beaches and the Island. We've had our problems with the 550 but we're hoping everything will stay working. The 4WD is great in the deep sand. If you are going to be going through water I suggest Skid Plates under the back to keep the water out of the electrical. I got stuck on the beach one day and had to sit there until it dried out enough to start. It only took about 10 minutes but temp was over 95.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the informaton. I believe the salesman at the JD dealership said that the used 550 was originally sold in June of 2013 and only has 30 some hours on it. I believe I will ask if is a 2013 or 2012 per your advice. I really don't need a UTV with the capibilities that the 550 has, but at the price and seeing that it like new and cheaper than many plain jane work Gators is the reason I was considering it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
See what kind of warranty they will give with it. That way if there is an ongoing problem of some kind that caused the original owner to throw in the towel, you'll be covered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, I haven't decided yet. I drove a used TS Gator the other day that was like new, and I liked the 550 much better. The TS was so loud it was terrible and it seems much larger to put in my small pole barn. Again I was just concerned about the 550 as about every site and review I went to there seem to be a lot of questions of troubles with them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My XUV550 is just beachy!

I have a XUV 550 s4 and I was considering taking it down to Padre this summer.. my sister is getting married on the beach and I thought it would be alot of fun! Any advice for me to stay safe on the beach? Any mods/upgrades you would recommend? I currently have everything needed to make it 'street legal' but I understand you don't need to have plates for this vehicle on Padre beaches, is that true? Thanks for any advice!:eek:

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
871 Posts
I'll be curious to see if Vanderrt comes back with any security recommendations. Since all Deere's use the same key I wouldn't rely on the ignition switch for security against anything more than kids taking it for a joy ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After driving several 550's and reading all the problems on this and other sites I decided to get something else. I test drove two of them and didn't really like them compared to other UTVs I have tested. I really am glad I didn't buy one before taking the 550s for a test run.

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
871 Posts
What did you end up purchasing? I'm also curious to hear what you liked about it better?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I live on Padre Island there is no license required on N. Padre Island. My security is my garage I would not leave my 550 S4 out over night. I wouldn't trust my ignition switch as a safe guard just as Dane said. We have people come on the Island who like to find open Garages with no one around. They will take anything they grab quickly and run. I know there not much chance of someone stealing my 550 but who knows they could come by then come back with a trailer and it would be gone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gator security

I have a heavy-duty chain that I use to secure my gator. Because I don't have a garage I have to keep it parked outside so I keep it chained up.

I was thinking that if needed I could always chain the front wheels to the back wheels so that it would be impossible to move without the chain being wrapped up, but I haven't tried that yet.... I guess I could always chain it to a light post or something...

Good call though, I know things can get a bit shady on the island sometimes... especially during the busy season.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts