John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 550 Gator
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue and I believe I just don’t know the philosophy behind how it is supposed to work. My 2014 Gator 550 does not go into 4x4 when the handle is moved into position. It will go into differential lock when moved all the way down; however, the 4X4 still doesn’t work. In fact, looking in the slot where the handle is, when going into 4X4 nothing seems to be moving at all. Then pulling all the way down does engage the lock for the rear end. Thoughts?
Thanks.

·
Registered
813 Posts
How are you determining that it doesn't go into 4wD (which on the 550 is actually three wheel drive)?

·
Registered
2014 550 Gator
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was I n an icy hill watching the 2 rear spin while neither front did anything...assune this would mean it wasn't engaged.
Also, literally nothing moves when the handle is moved to the 4x4 position...

That is why I am asking what I should be seeing/looking for...
Thanks

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Typically the technical manual available from a JD dealer has a section titled “theory of operation”. I’ve found them valuable in troubleshooting various systems.

Investing in the cost of such documents will be up to you.

·
Registered
2014 550 Gator
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Typically the technical manual available from a JD dealer has a section titled “theory of operation”. I’ve found them valuable in troubleshooting various systems.

Investing in the cost of such documents will be up to you.

·
Registered
2014 550 Gator
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
200 MPH...understand your point. Guess I was thinking this is what a forum is meant to do...

I’ll look into the manual or do some more digging.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you look back by the transmission and see if the cable is engaging the 4w lever. The cable end could of broke either at the lever under the dash or back by the transmission. they are push/pull cables. The owner's manual also shows where the cables are since you need to check the tension on the forward/reverse shifter cable on a routine basis.

·
Registered
2014 550 Gator
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you look back by the transmission and see if the cable is engaging the 4w lever. The cable end could of broke either at the lever under the dash or back by the transmission. they are push/pull cables. The owner's manual also shows where the cables are since you need to check the tension on the forward/reverse shifter cable on a routine basis.
Thanks for the reply and info. One thing I was having trouble with how much movement I should be seeing at the attach arm between the cable and the rod for the differential lock. I took it apart and manually rotated the 4x4 lock then checked how much the attach arm rotates when the lever is moved. They seem to be correct. I did end up adjusting the cable just a bit after finding info on proper gap between handle and cable end. I will put it on jack stands to test it.

Thanks again

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the reply and info. One thing I was having trouble with how much movement I should be seeing at the attach arm between the cable and the rod for the differential lock. I took it apart and manually rotated the 4x4 lock then checked how much the attach arm rotates when the lever is moved. They seem to be correct. I did end up adjusting the cable just a bit after finding info on proper gap between handle and cable end. I will put it on jack stands to test it.

Thanks again
See if this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 550 Gator
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See if this helps
Patl...Thank you for this...it is very good information and I appreciate it. This is the info that makes the forum work well. I will be sure to pay it forward when I can...

·
Registered
2014 550 Gator
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you to everyone who provided information on what to check or specs. I appreciate you sharing. I put the Gator on jack stands after some small cable adjustments and verified everything is working as it should.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts