John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the base RSX850i with the 12x6" front steel rims and 12x7" rear steel rims. I'd like to keep my existing rims but upgrade from my existing Ancla 25/8/12's & 25/10/12's 4 ply. Most of my riding is rocky & wooded mountain trails with some red dirt, creeks & a little mud.

Without a lift kit, spacers, or any other structural mods, what are larger size tires that will fit without rubbing? Would like more GC and puncture resistance for rocky trails. Shock placement in the rear doesn't look to be able to accommodate much more width but I'm open to suggestions on tire sizes and brands others have used successfully. Any help from the forum is appreciated.

Recommendations?.....................

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have Interco Swamp Lites on my RSX
28-9-14's on the front and 28-11-14's on the back. In reality they only measure 27" tall. I do have a 2" lift, but I don't think I actually needed it to fit the tires. Like you, I was interested in ground clearance.
I definitely have clearance now; 12.5" in front and 11.75" in back

The Swamp Lites wear pretty fast, but I figured I got them cheap enough that it'll give me the opportunity to try out something else in the future if I don't like them. I paid a little under $400 for all four.......including shipping!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i have always loved a ITP Mudlite they are a great all around tire and are light compared to the competetion. I will be getting a set of 30in Mudlite XXLs and a 2 in lift soon.. but just a thought

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
9" All Around?

Has anyone upgraded their tire height but reduced the rear widths to match a 9" in the front? Concern is loss of speed, low end torque, and clutch stress. Stock tires are always small and in many cases can't even be replaced with the same size since tire manufacturers make special OEM tires just for new units.

Anyone put 26" or 27" 9's all around? If so tell us what your experience is with them please.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i had 27 mudlites but they were 10 front and 12 back but they pulled great!! i have upgraded to 30s but am waiting to get gator out of shop had a clutch mess up so im eager to get them out and try em

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Marcus, did you have any rubbing issues at all when you were running the 27" 10's & 12"s? Was this prior to your 2" lift?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i ant got a 2 in lift yet im still trying to decide if i just wanna make a 3-4in lift instead and no there was no rubbing at all you couldnt even tell it had 27s really. there was NO power loss at all. like i said i went with 30s 10 wide all the way around and it does fantasic only a lil rubbing when turning and hitting a good size bump/

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i ant got a 2 in lift yet im still trying to decide if i just wanna make a 3-4in lift instead and no there was no rubbing at all you couldnt even tell it had 27s really. there was NO power loss at all. like i said i went with 30s 10 wide all the way around and it does fantasic only a lil rubbing when turning and hitting a good size bump/
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at 14" 26/9/14, 26/11/14 STI Rocktanes or Black Diamonds. The 26's in 14" rims run a little tall according to manufacturer. Don't see much mud. Only rocky mountain trails, hard pack, & red dirt. Sounds like I should be OK with either of those tires with no rubbing at all.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i gotcha buddy well like iv said im selling my big horn 2.0s they got about 20 miles on them. i put my 8 hrs on them and took em off haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts