John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this brand new, I now have 5 hours on it. I have a question about the initial takeoffs, both forward and reverse, I have to press the accelerator and hold for a bit,it revs up then lunges, it does not have a smooth take off. Is that normal, not to sure myself as it is new.

·
Super Moderator
2,660 Posts
I believe you probably need to break in the CVT belt.
New Belt Break In Process:

New CVT drive belts require a break-in period of at minimum 30 Miles to maximize belt life and performance. The goal of the break-in period is to properly wear in the belt to match the sheaves before applying maximum engine torque.

By conservatively running through the entire shift range, proper belt contact over the entire sheave/belt contact path is optimized to eliminate belt slippage and drastically increase the belt’s lifespan.

Follow the following guidelines to accomplish proper Belt-Break in:

•Vary vehicle speed and engine RPM to shift belt through normal operational range.
•Do not exceed ¾ throttle within the first 30 miles of installation.
•Stop engine and allow belt to cool down every 15 minutes of use.

During break in period, the following activities SHOULD BE AVOIDED:

•Aggressive Acceleration or ‘Jerky’ throttle movements at low speeds.
•Holding engine/vehicle speed constant for extended time periods.
•Pulling Heavy Loads.
•Long run times without complete CVT/belt cool down.

By following the break-in process carefully, the belt surface will wear in to match the individual CVT sheaves to maximize grip performance and dramatically reduce heat, glazing, and future wear.

As a reminder always use low gear when climbing a hill, pulling or hauling a load, transversing rocky terrain, starting on an incline, ruts, etc. The key here is, you do not want to slip or glaze the belt, this will cause premature belt failure.

Finally, do not leave the Gator in gear while stopped, such as when opening a gate this will create a flat spot on the belt overtime again leading to belt failure.

Thank you for reading,

Brad and Doc
JD Clutch Doc
[email protected]

———————————————
- [ ]

·
Super Moderator
2,660 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
The clutch uses centrifugal force to engage and it is necessary to bring the rpms up sufficiently for the clutch to engage. The rpm at which is engages should be consistent. Once engaged it should be somewhat smooth. Your description makes me question if it is operating correctly and perhaps sticking/binding. I do agree belt breakin is important, but don't want you to disregard the possibility a problem may exist.

Your description makes it sound like you rev from idle to say 3,000 rpms and then after some period of time at this rpm the clutch engages. If so, this isn't how it works. (3,000 rpms is only for conversational purposes as I'm uncertain of the design rpm engagement)
"I have to press the accelerator and hold for a bit,it revs up then lunges, it does not have a smooth take off."

If the clutch is suspect have JD put a new one on. It may not work any better, but unless they see a warranty spike or increase in warranty expenditure they will never fix the problem.

Have fun with the new ride.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bradhill - You said not to exceed ¾ throttle within the first 30 miles of installation. I hope to pick up a new 560e tomorrow and I might not put 30 miles on it for 2 or 3 years. I will just be using it around my 5 acres, and not very often. What kind of CVT break-in should I do? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

·
Registered
765 Posts
From above: "•Vary vehicle speed and engine RPM to shift belt through normal operational range."

Using low range on your smaller acreage may be a way to get full clutch movement while not going too fast. This is typically how we use the 855D around the house.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The whole idea is to heat the belt up and cool it down completely for several cycles, never put it under a hard load during this time. I usually start in low and gradually work my way up to high taking it a little faster each time, again you need to let it completely cool before starting another cycle. I don't think this will help the OP, almost sounds like the clutch is binding but I'm not behind the wheel, are you new to the belt driven CVT's?

·
Super Moderator
2,660 Posts
...Your description makes me question if it is operating correctly and perhaps sticking/binding......
You’re absolutely correct, I should have mentioned the possibility of the primary clutch sticking.

·
Super Moderator
2,660 Posts
Bradhill - You said not to exceed ¾ throttle within the first 30 miles of installation. I hope to pick up a new 560e tomorrow and I might not put 30 miles on it for 2 or 3 years. I will just be using it around my 5 acres, and not very often. What kind of CVT break-in should I do? Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Please try to put as many miles/hours on your new Gator as possible.

Perhaps you could visit a local OHV park or similar after you pickup your new Gator?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts