John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My New 590M S4 has 3.5 miles since delivery. I have started it and driven 5 times. The idle was a bid rough to start then smoothed out as it warmed up, drives smoothly, though a little grabby in reverse. Yesterday the gator took several attempts to start. It would start, idle rough, then die. Eventually started and no further problems. Today it would start, but couldn't maintain idle and would repeatedly die - it was never able to remain running. Yes, the tank came full from the dealer as shown on the dash gauge. My guess would be something like fuel line blockage or fuel contamination - but how is this possible if it has just been delivered from the dealer and has spent it's new life in the barn?

I called the dealer at 4pm (they close at 5) but could not get them to answer. Their service message system was full. I will try again tomorrow but my curiosity has gotten the best of me. Is there a fuel shutoff somewhere that I am not aware of? Is there a manual choke or something stuck on? Very frustrating :unsure:

·
Registered
31 Posts
My New 590M S4 has 3.5 miles since delivery. I have started it and driven 5 times. The idle was a bid rough to start then smoothed out as it warmed up, drives smoothly, though a little grabby in reverse. Yesterday the gator took several attempts to start. It would start, idle rough, then die. Eventually started and no further problems. Today it would start, but couldn't maintain idle and would repeatedly die - it was never able to remain running. Yes, the tank came full from the dealer as shown on the dash gauge. My guess would be something like fuel line blockage or fuel contamination - but how is this possible if it has just been delivered from the dealer and has spent it's new life in the barn?

I called the dealer at 4pm (they close at 5) but could not get them to answer. Their service message system was full. I will try again tomorrow but my curiosity has gotten the best of me. Is there a fuel shutoff somewhere that I am not aware of? Is there a manual choke or something stuck on? Very frustrating :unsure:
it does have an electric fuel pump, When you have to change the fuel filter, you have to disconnect the wire (both behind the seat area) to release the pressure on the line (you run it until it runs out of gas, after disconnecting the wire plug. Perhaps you can check that. plug. The 590 is fuel injection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it does have an electric fuel pump, When you have to change the fuel filter, you have to disconnect the wire (both behind the seat area) to release the pressure on the line (you run it until it runs out of gas, after disconnecting the wire plug. Perhaps you can check that. plug. The 590 is fuel injection.
Thank you. That is good information to know. I have finally gotten in touch with the dealer - they just have no one to help me right now. I will post when I find out the actual problem

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Well, it took two weeks to get the dealer to check out the starting problem, but here is the answer:

A pressure hose clamp in the fuel system was incorrectly installed at the factory allowing the hose to detach. There was enough residual fuel to start, but not enough continuous supply to continue to run. The hose clamps were described by the service dept as "poor quality" and were replaced with new hose clamps. This does not give me much confidence in John Deere in general. Cheap parts in critical areas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like your dealer was stretching it a bit. First they say, improper installation, then poor quality parts?
Not a stretch :) Improperly positioned clip that allowed fuel pressure hose to disconnect, replaced with real hose clamps - properly installed, sounds like a good fix. My observation - Gators may be viewed by some in the dealership as more toys for recreation/hunting compared to the serious tractor/heavy JD equipment. My salesperson rattled the cage and got my Gator into the shop for the quick fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for this info same thing happen to me a week ago. Was able to tell the dealer what I thought it was based off of the remedy for yours. John Deere should recall these and fix the gas clamp defective problem before we drive them off the lot. Just glad we have ours running. Now have almost 20 miles on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am sure you have the problem solved, but thought I would add my problem and solution.
Mine quit at the far end of my property. I pulled it to the barn and disconnected the fuel line out of the pump. I then turned on the ignition and let the pump run (it will only run for a few seconds). The result was just water that smelled like gas. I then used a kerosene pump, like you fill a kerosene heater with and got some gas but lots of water. I may have put some bad gas in, but think my Gator had this when I bought it. It was a last years model that had been sitting for a while. As we know these days the ethanol in our fuel causes a multitude of problems and I suppose it sitting partly full in the humidity the moisture condensed in the tank. I try to use non ethanol fuel as much as possible but always add a fuel additive to my fuel now. Hope this helps.

I now have an issue with the fuel level gage not working at times. I am wondering if it is being caused by the same problem?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts