John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just took delivery of my new 825i. I wanted to ask everyone about the transmission. Is it normal to experience a slight clunk sound when applying gas to move forward. It is almost like it is taking up a bit of space on the driveline before the clutch or whatever engages and starts the gator in motion. I have a feeling that it's normal with a clutch/belt type transmission, however I'm not used to it as I've always owned atvs with direct deive transmissions which do not have any clunk or take up in transmission. It won't really clunk all the time and seems to do it more if I apply the gas really slowly until it engages. If I fairly quickly apply gas moderately it doesn't seem as rough to engage. Any input on this would really be appreciated and possibly put my mind at ease. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello everyone. I just took delivery of my new 825i. I wanted to ask everyone about the transmission. Is it normal to experience a slight clunk sound when applying gas to move forward. It is almost like it is taking up a bit of space on the driveline before the clutch or whatever engages and starts the gator in motion. I have a feeling that it's normal with a clutch/belt type transmission, however I'm not used to it as I've always owned atvs with direct deive transmissions which do not have any clunk or take up in transmission. It won't really clunk all the time and seems to do it more if I apply the gas really slowly until it engages. If I fairly quickly apply gas moderately it doesn't seem as rough to engage. Any input on this would really be appreciated and possibly put my mind at ease. Thanks.
Doesn't sound normal to me mine doesn't make any clunky noise maybe it needs to break in a bit talk to your service guy at deere about it see what they say....

·
Registered
483 Posts
My 2013 825i does not make a clunking sound like you describe. I would guess it is clutch engagement.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not even so much a noise but more so I can just feel a click when I rev up and transmission engages. It feels like how a golf cart transmission is honestly. I'm used to atv transmissions really where the drive line is always engaged and when you throttle you go. Has like 2 hours on the machine maybe it will stop. I did read up on other side by sides and others have reported this also with this same style transmission. I dunno, just my nature to worry about something I paid 12k for I guess.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Depending on everyone's year, they increased the Engine braking on the machines in the beginning of 2014. All of our new machines on our lot do that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Deer sales. Unfortunately my problems only get worse. I posted another thread explaining my transmission. Dipstick bubbling oil out of it. Well now as I look at the transmission seals they are all wet with oil. I have to call deere mo day, however I suspect the breather to be defective causing over pressure. It appears the excess pressure found it's way out not I it through the dipstick but also the seals. Very disappointing on a machine I had for 3 days.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have an 825i 2015 that I just got with 25 hours on it and have the same issue. I am doing a little research on it as my brother in law works for John Deere.The clunck mostly happens when I first start using it. I do let it warm up to drop the RPM's. It does it a less as the day goes on.
I will post with an up date in about a week.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have one manufactured in April 2014 and it makes the clunk sound also when stepping on the throttle making it move, it has stayed the same no worse no less and now got about 500 miles on it as of July 2016, no other issues with it ...

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would have a look at the mount bolts for the engine and transmission. The 2 in the rear especially. have seen them loose upon delivery and also the rubbers tends to deteriorate on older models. When the swing arm torques up upon acceleration it clunks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I noticed my 825i clunks it it is idling below 1000 rpm. What rpm should it idle at? The idle rpm seems to be all over the place.

·
Registered
160 Posts
my 2013 825i makes that sound as the clutch engages, been doing it from new and has over 700 miles on it now and is the same, so its normal..ive checked for loose stuff on the chassis and all tight..its based on the way a snowmobile free spools at low rpm...takes a little to get used to...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts