John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just took delivery 10 days ago of a 2013 855D and my wife and I love it. I have an intermittent 4x4 issue I hope someone can help with. My wife is the athletic director at our school and uses the gator to tool around the game, pick up the yardage and end zone markers and lock up the complex after the game. ( used to have Polaris 800 xp ) The first night she used it she called me to say it was making a loud grinding/gear noise in the front. I went up to the school and noticed she had hit the 4x4 button when she turned on the lights, but I could not get it to make any noises. I did take it for a run and noticed I could only get 17 mph out of it in 4x4, but I could get the full 32 mph if I switched to 2wd. I took it home, checked the front diff oil which was fine. The next day I tried it again, still no gear noise, but this time I could get the full 30mph out of it in 4x4. I really dont want to waste the dealers time, but need to figure out what the issue is before the warranty runs out. any ideas or similar issues?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
709 Posts
Well that 4wd system is an ON Demand system. When it senses slip in the rear tire, that's the only time it will engage the solenoid to the 4wd. There might be a sensor problem or a solenoid issue with the machine if it is intermittently engaging the 4wd.

With the switch on, it energizes the 4wd system but does not engage it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think it is a 4wd engagement issue. Sometimes on solid ground in 4wd it will only go 17mph wot, other times on the same ground 30pmh. When it acts up it does not pull in one direction or the other.

Once I get it to act up on a regular basis I will have my Deere dealer check it out. I am sure they will get it fixed, was just hoping someone had seen the same thing to give them a hand chasing down an intermittent issue.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to the forum Spuddy64!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully its just a one time gremlin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even if it isnt, I cant say enough good things about this XUV. When I get more time I will post a detailed comparison of it and the Polaris it replaced. Obviously Polaris must build a desirable machine as they sell very well, but for me the Gator is a much better fit and investment. They are 2 completly different machines.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I like Polaris and I have no problem with Polaris, but I really like my Gator and Deere.

A little bit of info....yall know that Bobcat has a UTV........its made by Polaris.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts