John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, folks,

My father just bought a used '95 4x2 Gator, and I have been trying to help him fix a few minor issues with it. I am a pretty good mechanic, but have NO experience with ATVs or Gators, so please be patient.

First, this thing GRINDS when you shift from neutral into either forward or reverse. The belt turns all the time, even at idle, so of course the gears are turning when you try to shift. The belt seems pretty loose at idle, and the primary pulley has plenty of space for the belt- it is nowhere near touching both sides at idle. I have adjusted the idle down lower, which has helped some, but the belt still turns just off of the small amount of friction that is produced between the flat inner surface of the belt and the output shaft of the motor. The belt can be stopped with very light pressure on the secondary pulley, so there's not much force there, just enough to keep it moving. The belt that is on it is a JD RE2871. I feel like that belt shouldn't be turning at idle, and that is what is causing the shifting/grinding problem. Any input on this one?

Also, the brakes squeak/moan at low speeds. It looks like this one has the Kanzaki KT35 transmission, and it appears to have a light hydraulic oil in it and it is at the right level on the stick. From what I can tell the brakes are wet, so would a fluid change be likely to help this issue? Is the correct fluid for this transmission the Hy-Gard fluid?

Finally, I have tried to find an owner's manual for this thing online, but there seem to be lots of different versions, and I cannot tell what I need to cover this old ('95) 4x2 model. Can anyone tell me which version I need? How about the same for a service/repair manual?

I guess that's plenty for now. I did lots of searching before asking these questions, and learned a lot, but had no luck on these specific questions. I hope I am not asking for too much for my first visit!

Thank you,
Regan

·
Registered
250 Posts
The belt on these gators will always rotate when idling in neutral. The idle has to be LOW. That should help with the grinding. Also, dont try to ease it into gear. Just snatch it back or forward. The gears is these trans are all square cut, non syncro, sliding collar type. Dont expect real smooth shifts. Everything about the belt/clutch sounds normal. The only other thing to look for is the engine clutch not fully releasing. This will cause hard shifts and will cause the gator to creep when you release the brake while in gear. To check, run wide open in neutral, let it coast down to an idle again. Then shut off engine. If the engine driven clutch clunks and moves out, then it isnt releasing. Too high of an idle or an internal clutch problem will cause this.
Trans fluid is LOW VIS HY GARD. Brakes are wet and actuated by a 'ball and ramp" system. Moaning and groaning brakes are a common issue especially when it doesnt get used alot. A simple fix is to ride around and lightly ride the brakes to heat them up. Once hot, drain and refill with fresh LOW VIS HY GARD. When you get your oil, ask the parts guy for some PEMO. Its a friction modifier for wet brakes and clutches. Works great. Follow directions on bottle.
Post you PIN number and we can tell what it is. It will be like w004x2*******

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much, Xcopterdoc, for your reply!

I start another 24-hour shift in the morning, but will take a look at the clutch disengagement procedure you suggested this weekend. I don't think that is a problem, though, because there is plenty of daylight on both sides of the belt at the primary pulley at idle. I guess we both just expected the transmission to engage a little more smoothly, but if the belt is supposed to keep turning then I think everything is fine on that account.

I'll pass on your advice about the brakes as well too, and we will go ahead and change the fluid to be sure. I have the impression that this Gator has had little recent use. It stops fine, just a little noisy.

The serial number for this vehicle is W004X2X01048_. The end of the tag is damaged, and I think there is at least one or maybe more numbers missing, but hopefully that will be enough to recommend an owner's and possibly a service manual? This machine has the Kawasaki FE290D gasoline motor in it, and I have already found him a manual for that particular engine. In that case, would a diesel manual from the same era be just as good? There seem to be a lot more of the diesel manuals available.

Thanks very much for your patience, have a happy 4th!
Regan

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thats a standard 4x2 gator. Tech manual is TM1518. TM will include engine manual also. You are only missing 1 number in the PIN number. You may be able to find the number stamped in the frame under the passenger seat on the outside frame rail. Or if you know who the original owner was it can be looked up like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts